250V Switch?

Gentlemen,

I'm just a bit unsure about whether these switches I'm using are safe or not. They claim to be suitable for 250V, but once mounted, it's impossible to earth the toggles because of the shank (not sure if that's the right word, but the threaded section that mounts through-hole) which is plastic. I've always tried to ensure all exposed metal was earthed, so having constructed this device (see photos) I'm not 100% happy about not being able to do so this time. However, maybe there's some internal insulation that makes my concerns irrelevant, I don't know. Do you? I've also posted close-ups of the switches themselves.

Cursitor Doom

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

they lack a double insulated symbol [[_]] so don't even claim to meet current safety requirements.

Reply to
Animal

If that is the case then, what are they doing on sale here?

I had a so called burnished ally finished switch, but discovered I could feel a tingle from it. This was because the burnished bit was merely glued to an underlying plastic base, with no metal in the screw holes. The toggle was kind of coated by some kind of silver looking coating which after about a year or so chipped off and could actually cut your finger. Though probably no electrically dangerous, not really made to last. That is what would worry me about your devices, as although I cannot see them, if the mechanism were to collapse, it seems to me it would be easy for the metal to contact the contacts inside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If they are being legally sold than there is double insulation between the switch toggle and what actually bridges the contact

I'd take one apart and judge for yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not sure their legal status. If the item is treated as a component, it's a grey area, and probably doesn't need any UK symbol. I might ask for a datasheet, if one is available.

The assumption is the equipment incorporating this switch would be tested.

The other symbols on the switch might give an indication of their suitability with 240VAC.

I agree, the only way of being certain is to take one apart and confirm clearance / creepage.

Reply to
Fredxx

Given the level of honesty on Chinese parts supplies I'd skip the datasheet & open one if you really want to know. Personally I just wouldn't buy them.

Reply to
Animal

That's not really feasible in my case. The switches are tiny and I don't have the requisite fine motor skills to be able to open one up without destroying it in the process. I think I'll just have to rely on my unusually high skin resistance which enables me to only feel a slight tingle at 240V. No one else is ever going to use it anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Could you insulate the toggles by dipping them in latex, or with heatshrink? Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Maybe.... maybe.... It's a novel idea at any rate!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom