Surplus tools

Yep. My wanted advert which said "Arrogant bastard wants money for nothing" was removed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I now filter any Freecycle posts that begin with "Wanted". It's better than being irked at the cheek of some people.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

I tried joining the Farnborough one a couple of times a couple of years back, and never got any response.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't recognise this, nor a lot of the other, descriptions of FreeCycle. I rarely give out my 'phone number and arrange most collections by e-mail. Obviously a better class of FreeCycler round here.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ditto. And they're unfailingly polite and grateful when they turn up (which they always have).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I think that says more about London than about Freecycle. Monmouth group are great, as are Bristol. A friend in Easton seems to have furnished most of her house by freecycling stuff from Cotham / Horfield (which probably won't surprise those who know Bristol districts).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Unlike eBay, there's very little "arsed" to Freecycle. Once you're set up, individual items are a doddle to shift. Just be strict about allocating a convenient narrow window for collection when it's suitable for you and make them work for it a little.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

After it's been collected, send a "Taken - thanks" email to the group.

Then sit back and spend the next three weeks receiving ever more messages from people who want it and get pissed off when you tell them "Sorry, it went within half an hour of being posted three weeks ago".

Reply to
Adrian

Of course the London one will be many times the size of these. Perhaps it would be better if it was split into postcodes or similar. After all 'my' borough of Wandsworth has a bigger population than Bristol.

I've no experience of getting things from it - only disposing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just block all e-mails referring to that item.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Prior to emigrating I got rid of piles of stuff via Freecycle (Twickenham) SW London): a lot of it had value, but I wouldn't have been able to get money for it. My best success was the guy who came round for a set of plug cutters and left with five cartons full of DIY stuff. He sent me a really nice note saying that it was like Christmas and his birthday all in one!

I guess the because Twickenham is (was?) a fairly prosperous area, offers outnumbered wants by four or five to one.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I basically updated the kitchen - just really a fashion thing, as everything still worked properly. So had all the appliances both large and small to dispose of. From large double oven unit through microwave to electric kettle etc. All in excellent clean condition and complete down to instruction books.

Has Twickenham its own group, then? That would probably have solved some of the problems I had.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although the main London one (30551 members) is still running, there are also 38 subgroups, look under 'London' here.

And there is a group for Wandsworth (7538 members) but smaller then the Bristol one (20476 members)

Lots of lovely time wasters out there :-)

-&-

For the google tape I'm going to repost the more relevant links to this thread.

or ask VSO

or auction them and give the proceeds to the charity of your choice

Reply to
Adrian C

I recently ofeered some baby stuff - steriliser, bottle warmer etc. The couple I chose to give it too seemed delighted to be getting it all (probably cost the best part of £100 to buy all new). we got a thanks email, and then recently got a little email telling us had had a little girl.

Made me feel good

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

If they bother to turn up, after you've arranged to stay in for them to collect the item.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida