superbeam steel section definitions

Has anyone got a list of definitions / diagrams of UB, UC, IPE, CHS etc, as used in superbeam. Also, what category should be used to analyse Z-section beams ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

UB (universal beam) is a standard I section beam. UC (universal column) is also an I section but more or less the same width and depth: despite the name they are often used as beams when headroom is critical. CHS, SHS and RHS are circular, square and rectangular hot-finished hollow sections.

From the FAQ

"What's a PFC?

Current steel data files include additional section types. PFC stands for Parallel Flange Channel, a channel section in which the inner and outer faces of the flanges are parallel. See SCI Publication 210: Parallel Flange Channels - Section Properties and Member Capacities,

1996.

.. and an IPE or HE?

These are Euronorm (formerly DIN sections, the equivalent of UB's and UC's"

Tony Bryer