Super Material

Don a pair of marigolds. Never known it fail.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've not noticed any damage from it, and I've been using one of those for years.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You mean like two cells wrapped together? Just twist them apart. Most packs of batteries come in a bubble pack with a cardboard back and an easy way to get in to it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not looked at at it, but most of these still need you to hold the jar from turning. So totally pointless.

If I can't do it with rubber gloves (can most) I take it to the workshop and use a couple of strap wrenches. One to hold the jar, the other for the lid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just use rubber gloves. To stop the jar turning too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have. It obviously depends on how strong the metal edge of the lid is.

Reply to
Samsungo

This lid remover is the best on this earth and I bet one is not in your collection or you would be sure, they are not easy to find but get one and you will never have trouble again. They pop the seal as soon as you squeeze and then hold securely to open.

Reply to
FMurtz

But this one breaks the seal by pressure on opposite sides of the lid and then takes little effort.

Reply to
FMurtz

Drill a hole?

Stab it with a knife is much easier.

Reply to
ARW

The brightly coloured pointy swirls on Huntley and Palmers Iced Gem biscuits made from the hardest substance known to man.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

According to Jeremy Clarkson, dried weetabix is so hard, Mazda should use it for the rotor tips in their Wankel engines. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

ISTR that pre 1991 when we had that epidemic of food tampering and the jars were at that time not vacuum sealed, there were *still* some lids that were a serious PITA to off. So it has do more than just releasing the vacuum.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No it does not and the fact that one of these works every time unless the lid is too deep proves that.

Samsungo

Whether it's vacuum sealed is just a matter of how the food is prepared/preserved. You're thinking of "tamper evident" seals, which don't even have to be hermetic/airtight, as in the case of some plastic milk bottles which just have a plastic rip cord you have to remove.

Reply to
Max Demian

i bought some milk that allleaked through a [inhoile in the wall of te bottle.

Boot of the car stank forever

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I keep a medium sized seamless plastic box in the car.

Milk and other liquids *always* travel in that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

everybody can waffle all they like about this thing an that,but until you try one you will never know. As an exercise ask anyone who who has one (except Rod :) ) If any poster who has one and does not agree please post (except Rod) :)

Reply to
FMurtz

I have one. It works well on jars where the vacuum is so strong that you cannot turn the lid. Just place the tool under the lip of the lid and apply a very gentle upwards pressure. The lid "pops" slightly - remove the tool and the lid turns with ease.

It does exactly what is shown in this video

The tool doesn't work on jars with very deep lids because it cannot mechanically fit on something so deep. These jars are however in the minority - I've only come across one in the past couple of years.

Reply to
alan_m

Marmite Get marmite on the outer screw section of the jar and in the inner screw section of the lid and removal of the lid is almost impossible. Even with water pliers the marmite acts like the thickest of high viscosity dampening grease and you will continue to be fighting every small fraction of complete revolution of the lid until it is fully unscrewed.

Reply to
alan_m

That is not the tool I am talking about. This is.

FMurtz