Submersible water heaters

(Reminded by thread about moody Chinese heaters)

I need a submersible heater, something like an aquarium heater would be great if I could find one that got the water hot, 50C or more.

It would sit in a tank about 18 inch square and 4 inch deep.

What would the group recommend?

Reply to
R D S

Sounds like you want a cup boiler or travel immersion heater. Something like one of these on Ebay.

You might have to change the plug though.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not a recommendation but I think this is one of the cheapest:

Somewhat less-disreputable ones are available eg

These ***don't*** have thermostats.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have seen metion elsewhere of ones just like the aquarium ones, but for up to about 50°C to 55°C for PCB bubble etch tanks.

I have also seen a website showing how to construct such a tank showing that an aquarium type can have the thermostat knob stops removed, allowing it to be turned up higher.

Only what I have read though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I use a pair of aquarium heaters that I use for keeping a nickel plating bath warm. I was dubious about their insulation initially but in practice they have been fine totally imersed,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com explained :

Two pin (no earth), now if that element metal jacket were to accidently become live...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you want something reliable then Radiospares (or whatever they call themselves now) do a reasonable range. I've never looked for thermostats, but I'm sure they exist.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Web page helpful:

"Don't put your hand into the liquid when the element is plugged in a wall outlet."

Kindly to read all instruction as manufacture most anxious not kill esteemed purchaser, you always happy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Depending on the application a method of stirring water also may be required.

Reply to
alan_m

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com pretended :

Oh, that is fine then lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd buy an immersion heater flange to install into the tank and go for a bog standard immersion heater with thermostat. Very simple and freely available.

Reply to
Cynic