Stuborn spirit thermometer?

Yes I know . For what they cost chuck it and get another, thing is I am curious.

One of those old type glass bulb thermometers filled with some sort of spirit and all the spirit is at the top end, none at all at the bottom in the bulb. How do you get the spirit back where it belongs?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

By contacting a spirit guide?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Have you tried shaking it down nursie style?

My next step would be an attempt at a (balanced) centrifuge bodged onto the chuck of a cordless drill/driver.

Reply to
fred

Sticking in the freezer if you're lucky?

David

Reply to
Lobster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield saying something like:

I had similar recently. Froze it and heated it alternately; eventually it consolidated and got back to normal.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

6ft of string, whirl it round your head until centrifugal force does the trick.
Reply to
Steve Walker

Assuming it is at the "hot" end then heat it right up until it fills the tube? Then let it cool down the right way up.

Reply to
Geo

I already tried that, but it didn't budge - but thanks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Geo formulated :

I have used that method before and it usually end with them bursting, but it worked this time - thanks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

nah. SHAKE it down. that's how it works with a clinical thermometer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Needs to be mercury (denser) for that.

Cycling through temperature is the usual way with spirit, but don't pop the top off.

Reply to
Andy Dingley