Structural Engineer Costs

Hi. I am now leaning toward hiring a SE to specify what lintel and combined lintel/padstone I require. What is a ball park figure that this pro will charge?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I think I paid about =A3300 to have a beam with brick peers and conctrete foundations specified.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Thank goodness for that!

Phone around and ask, then negotiate. You don't need a chartered structural engineer; a qualified structural technician will be more than adequate.

Reply to
Bruce

I knew some of the lords were pretty fossilised but I never realised that they'd resorted to using brick ones. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

couple of hundred

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lord Ibstock and Baron London BC?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd hope for Archer and Mandelson.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks, gents.

2-300 doesn't sound too frightening but I will have to charge the wife a bit more next year.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

It will depend on how far he has to travel, but 150-300 should cover it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used one 3 years ago and the rate was £85/hour + VAT

Reply to
Mr Benn

Alsoi check whether the price includes them coming back to check the work has been done correctly (if that's what you want). I gto a nice spec from my SE which I gave to the builders. They then built something different; They made the piers too thick. I guess building control would have spotted it, but maybe BC would not have been concerned if they considered it structurally OK.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

If you want them to do that, then specify it when asking for a quote. They are not clairvoyant.

Reply to
Bruce

Adequate to produce the figures but possibly not able to sign them off as compliant to Building Regs?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you stating that, or asking a question?

Reply to
Bruce

Asking a question. That wiggly thing at the end was a hint.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Then ask your local BCO.

Reply to
Bruce

I would do more than lean toward, because your previous post indicated you had a short support area - requiring rebar reinforced padstone. It needs proper calculation to ensure you are not under, because structural problems don't generally result in cracks - just collapse :-)

As much for peace of mind.

Reply to
js.b1

Do you mean charge OUT?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..the charge for my body...but not outside in this weather.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

So where is Roof, the structural engineer, when we need him?

Reply to
Stuart Noble