Strongest Mix to Fill Holes in Concrete Drive?

Hi,

I need to fill up some holes in my concrete driveway. I know that some of the more shallow holes will be difficult to fill successfully long term, but what is the strongest cement/sand ratio to use? (I assume that is sharp sand, right?) I did buy a mix a couple of years back, and used that, and it survived this winter, but it was very expensive. It was also dark in colour, so maybe it had an additive? Should I add something to make it stronger still?

Many thanks.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Don't know, but I would be very interested to know if there exists some manner of magic plop, like floor leveller for example, which could be poured onto a concrete drive or path to make it all pretty again. I'm buggered if I'm smashing up concrete at my age.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wibbled on Sunday 07 March 2010 21:32

I would guess you would be looking at an epoxy overcoat of some sort?

I've seen websites for various things, such as gravel epoxy or bitumen bonded down (looks like gravel, feels like gravel, doesn't fall off - favoured by heritage sites) through to fake blockwork done in a poured and moulded topping layer (which I'm guessing is epoxy loaded cement or something).

eg:

a walk round your town and look at the drives - you'll spot one soon enough (the surface is continuous through the "joints"). If it still looks good but looks like it's been down a while, enquire of the owners who did it :)

knows how much it costs though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Might be worth a look

The Medway Handyman

One thing to try is to dig out some more of the hole you want to fill. The idea is to make the hole larger at the bottom than the opening at the surface. That way when you do fill it, the hole will be plugged by the existing material around the top, hence the filler won't be able to work free.

Reply to
pete

3:1 with EVA. Or better epoxy mortar, but thats not cheap.

NT

Reply to
NT

Interesting. Thanks for that.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks NT. The trouble is, whenever you Google this, it gives a mix involving ballast. I want a smooth, uniform yet strong mix, so I really didn't want to use ballast.

Anyway, I will go for 3 sharp sand to 1 cement then, thanks.

Reply to
Paul

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 02:40:35 -0800 (PST), Paul gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Try to get a sharp edge to work to. Use ballast .. then tamp it well and the cement will rise to the surface for a smooth finish

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Try adding SBR to your mortar. I've feathered edges with it outdoors and it doesn't crack. Amazing stuff but a bit messy to work with

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes... either way works, with ballast is cheaper fwiw. Tarmac is more flexible than concrete.

NT

Reply to
NT