Strong alternative to chimney corner bracket

Unless you actually have fails then it doesn't answer the question of if its better or worse. With luck you won't find out as it will take a few fails to determine the answer.

It wasn't domestic. Factory unit, big factory unit with lots of electronics in it.

Reply to
dennis

It does because we see lots of 'fails' done by other people. I'm not going to start installing aerials that might fail just to see if they do. There's a wealth of evidence out there (see my Rogues' Gallery) without generating any more.

If you wanted to test the hypothesis that remaining sober when you have to drive meant that you had fewer accidents, would you get drunk and go out for a spin in the car a few times to see what happened? No, you'd observe the results of other doing that.

You know Denis, you're an intelligent man, so why are you being deliberately obtuse?

No, I don't think so. We've done schools, unis, and prisons in the Midlands, but I don't think we've ever done a factory.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The advantage of Bill's 4-bracket job is that it has no single point of failure. If any one (or two) of his wall brackets drop off nothing much will happen. I think it's quite probable that the top and bottom ones are the only necessary ones - but if he fitted only two, and one bolt came loose in the wall, it'd be down in the street.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Maybe, maybe not..

If the top bracket failed for some reason the full wind load would transfer to the next one down, except it would be increased because the lever would be longer.

So it depends on why the top one failed, if the same failure mode is in the second bracket it would also have a good chance of failing.

Of course if its a pole on the top of a building it would be safer for the pole to bend and stay attached than for the brackets to fall off and have it drop on someone.

I would like to see some steel rope attached to a separate fixing point to catch anything really heavy if the brackets fell off the wall. Part Z?

Reply to
dennis

That (the first picture) looks like far more leverage than I'd be thinking of. The chimney stack in question is maybe 1.5 metres high, and I'd be putting an 80cm. dish + motor on a short mast in front of it.

I'm now thinking of a small L shaped mast bolted conventionally to the stack but with bracing like yours to either side.

Many thanks for your picture (which looks just about indestructible).

Reply to
Windmill