Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

Reply to
Rob

the only appliances I know of that are vented through PVC are new, and power vented. Your oil furnace is probably not able to be retrofitted to do this. Seek professional help before attempting.

Sorry I have NEVER seen a furnace vented into a yard. Please provide details on this. Uniform Building Codes that I am ware of require vents to be above the roof top so the fumes and CO are not ingested.

Reply to
SQLit

I will answer in case the HVAC guys are at a party.

Only modern furnaces with a secondary heat exchanger are eligible for using PVC as the exhaust.

All older furnaces that I have encountered require a stack that terminates above the roofline.

Oil furnaces are a different critter. I would GUESS that any flue that meets the guidelines in the furnace manual would work. A non-masonry chimney should be an option.

For you safety use whatever you learn in this group as a guideline and consult with a local HVAC person experienced in oil furnaces before you proceed.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You can't vent the oil furnace you have with PVC. You need to use either a Field or Tjernlund 'power venter'. There are specific guidelines for their placement, and the wiring can be complicated for a novice. You can use standard galvanized smoke pipe going to the power venter, but they are just another mechanical component that can break over time. If you have an existing chimney, get it repaired or replaced. A chimney liner or a complete new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

Reply to
Bob

Bob beat me to it (Damn! You must read this group 24 hours a day! ;-] )

Just wanted to add a couple links:

Dr. Hardcrab

Damn, I thought about it, but forgot to add links. I'll be more careful next time.

Reply to
Bob

SEE!!! SEE!!!

;-]

BTW, we install both but I personally hate the damn thimgs.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Thats ONLY on 90% or better condensing furnaces.

This is one that you need to check with your local permit office, and an inspector...the IBC, and IFC says no. you COULD use a power vent to go to your sidewall.....and I promise you one thing....if your tech isnt tuning your furnace right each year, you will know it in short order.

Reply to
CBHVAC

not on your older furnace. it doesn't burn clean enough. and it routinely requires a hot exhaust updraft discharge up a chimney to specified feet above the rooftop. you're probably looking at a 99 percent efficient combustion of gas on those pvc ground level flues. i searched google for "high efficiency oil heat pvc flue" and came across a good article about how much maintenance they save with a change:

buffalobill

Too much bias and inaccuracies in that article to even comment on. The guy is going only by his personal experience, and using emotion, which should never come into play when picking a system.

Reply to
Bob

Install stainless stell flue liner in existing chimey, as another option.

a new high efficeny furnace will likely pay for itself, in lower fule bills, and no chimney issues

Reply to
hallerb

Hmm. I have a galvanized double-walled chimney, and a ~10" galvanized pipe leading to it. When I replace the furnace, 26 years old, will I have to replace either the chimney (which is deeply stuck into the house) or just the pipe that winds around the furnace to it? Or neither?

mm