Stripping old oak beams

replying to The Natural Philosopher, martaheine wrote: With the trend and craze, we tend to go with the flow and after a few days decided to change it into an entirely new look. SO when an oak beam that has been painted or varnished is need of total makeover, it is still possible to be transformed into it's natural state before. You can safely remove the paint from the wood through the use of heat gun, chemical strippers or the method of dipping using a chemical procedure. Another option is using mechanical sanding and even sandblasting methods.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/12/2017 02:14, martaheine wrote:

Please see http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/12/2017 02:14, martaheine wrote:

Ignoring the 7 years (which is nothing to these beams) I'd be fascinated to know how I am going to dip the structural timbers of my house in any sort of chemical.
Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, 15 December 2017 20:53:26 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

Lol. What a hoot
Add pictures here
βœ–
chudford wrote:

These can make a decent job of it:
http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?catid “&open“&page6
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&numRecordPosition=2&P_ID9589
They have a drum shaped brush (IIRC there used to be a range of them depending on how aggressive you want to be)
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-333727
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
John Rumm wrote:

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&numRecordPosition=2&P_ID9589

But how close to the ceiling could you get? I imagine they're built like a planer, which would leave the most difficult bit untouched.
Add pictures here
βœ–
stuart noble wrote:

From what I have seen the brush goes close to the edge - but I am not sure if it goes right to the edge (with a little splay out).
The remaining bit you could tart with a multimaster and carbide rasp perhaps.
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–

It depends.
Builders will insist in sand-blasting beams to remove the old paint. This is fine if you want to ruin everything inside the house and to ensure that one will be eating sand in every meal for the next thirty years.
I've found that gently wire brushing by hand produces the best results but it is tedious work and will take several weeks to do.
Any mechanical means will cause damage to the beams and that seems a shame.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Firth wrote:

Dont exaggerate. It only took about 5 hoovers a week apart to get all the calcium carbonate out of te riooms.

Including wire brushing
will cause damage to the beams and that seems a

Its an unavoidable fact. You cannot get all the stuff OUT of the grain without ripping it off, and some wood always comes too. The post carbonate blast here was pretty decent: Yes, it raised the grain, but a light sand was all it took to get a reasonable finish back.
Add pictures here
βœ–
chudford wrote:

Depends on how thick and hard the paint is. I had thick distemper, paper adhesive and other paints on several large oak beams. I used a scraper. The best one I found was a large wood chisel used as a scraper, held at about 75 degrees to the surface and pulled so that the bevel was on the trailing side. Yes, it was hard work but the finish showed good grain and was slightly polished. You can apply pressure in the right places and tilt the scraper to follow the surface where needed. I used an old 1.5" chisel, but a 1" would be OK.
Peter Scott
Add pictures here
βœ–
Peter Scott wrote:

That works on planed timber, but its useless of really old stuff done with e.g. an adze.
It isn't anywhere near smooth to start with, so there is nothing to scrape down TO.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, March 26, 2010 at 5:23:43 PM UTC, chudford wrote:

If you don't want the mess of stripping or sand blasting, try this company: www.pillarpost.co
Add pictures here
βœ–

bead blasting. Mask between though
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
βœ–
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dry ice blasting is the way to go - very impressive results
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/07/2016 17:13, Bob Minchin wrote:

How much mess does it make? We've got oak beams some kind soul painted black.
Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, March 26, 2010 at 5:23:43 PM UTC, chudford wrote:

If you don't want the mess of stripping or sand blasting, try this company: www.pillarpost.co
Add pictures here
βœ–

I suspect you're six years too late with your spam.
Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Add pictures here
βœ–
replying to chudford, Morkle wrote: If you don't want the mess of stripping or sand blasting, try this company: www.pillarpost.co
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, March 26, 2010 at 5:23:43 PM UTC, chudford wrote:

Firstly, consider not stripping. The black is part and parcel of the histor y of the house. If she is determined to impose her stamp on the beams then there are products with gels that will strip off paint but they are partic ularly unpleasant to operate and you simply protect the adjacent ceiling wi th duct tape or the like. I used https://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/ the one was 4-F for stone b ut gear up with all the safety stuff Chris G
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 15/12/2017 22:33, snipped-for-privacy@atics.co.uk wrote:

The black in our house post-dates the installation of electric wiring and central heating. (it's brown under switches etc).
That's not very historical.
Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–