Striping paint hot

Hi everyone

I want to strip paint off a pile of small items in a dishwasher. It'll be a mix of emulsion and oil based gloss. Before trying it, what chemicals would be likely to work? And what would and wouldnt kill a dishwasher?

thanks, NT

Reply to
NT

SWMBO will be likely to kill you if she finds out :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think you should be asking what would and wouldnt kill an NT, if SWMBO finds out

Reply to
Steve Walker

Soften the gloss paint by putting the items in the tumble dryer for a while first.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sodium hydroxide.

Sodium hydroxide will definitely kill it, but it takes a few months. It will rot every plastic component in the dishwasher.

Anywhoo you dpn't need the dishwasher, just dip the items into a suitably strong sodium hydroxide solution.

If you don't know what you're doing, and you clearly don't, then you will end up rolling on the floor screaming "my eyes, my eyes" as the caustic soda melts your flesh.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sodium hydroxide doesn't attack plastics. That's why it's packaged in plastic. It also doesn't dissolve emulsion paint or other water based coatings.

Depending how small this pile of small items is (and what they're made of), it might be better simmering them (very) gently on the hob in an old (not aluminium) saucepan, because as soon as the solution cools, it virtually stops working

then you

Bit melodramatic perhaps?

Reply to
stuart noble

What I dont know is whether it attacks rubber hoses & seals.

I'll have to try it. I wondered if the heat and water alone might redissolve the pva, or weaken it enough to fall off.

There are thermoplastic, copper and steel. And just too many of them to go over each one by hand.

daft too, been using caustic for years. But not to strip emulsion.

thanks for the suggestion, looks like I need to find out more about caustic and rubber first.

NT

Reply to
NT

lol.

NT

Reply to
NT

Depending on the size of the pile of bits you might find this a bit cheaper than a new dish washer:

's a bit slow but it does remove emulsion and gloss and it doesn't damage plastics. It's on Ebay - see 'paint stripper' but they seem to have increased the price since I bought some recently.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

With eye protection, I take it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Thanks, I'll look into that more.

NT

Reply to
NT

No, it doesn't attack *some* plastics. It rots others rather quickly.

Not all plastics are the same.

Again not entirely true.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Think I'd be tempted to just bung 'em through with normal dishwasher stuff, possibly on one of the hotter cycles. I clean small parts that have got emulsion on them by covering them in ordinary washing up liquid and sploshing enough boiling water over to cover 'em. Leave until cool, agaitating occasionally and the emulsion most just falls off. Splashes of gloss as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice