Straw dryling - where are the cable channels?

My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the upstairs internal walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

Now I want to find one of these in another room - I'm guessing that the only way is to dig a horizontal channel until I find one (I've already decided where the pattress boxes will go so I'll need to cut a channel anyway), but how far apart are they (don't want to find I go a long way in one direction only to find that there is one the other way very close!

Any tips on finding the channel?

Reply to
Peter Crighton

Depending upon depth, a metal detector would find the cables or even easier the the channel if it is metal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There are no cables there - I'm fitting new cables and want to find the channels to make it easier

Reply to
Peter Crighton

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:59:48 +0000 someone who may be Peter Crighton wrote this:-

Much easier to fit things into than brick walls.

They are very useful.

If you go up in the loft you may be able to see the top of the board and by inspection find the separation of the channels.

Alternatively a double box is generally wide enough to find one channel somewhere along the width.

Reply to
David Hansen

I assume that the boards will all have the same cable channel position. If this is so. Find the studs, to where the boards are attached. Measure.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ditto. Strommit board (or Strammit, or was it Dammit boards :o))

As someone else said, go up in the loft and poke with a screwdriver. Mine were every foot IIRC.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann