Strange noise - deathwatch beetles?

You couldn't use a shotgun around here. The dysfunctional little scrote just down the road would be phoning the police, the council, and probably his MP.

Reply to
Tony Williams

If it's rodents (which can make tapping noises) then it may have been when you stuck your head up in the loft, they froze, it all went silent.

I'd suggest putting a *small* bit of fruit and nut chocolate just inside the loft, but on a saucer or something, so it can't be disturbed. Leave it overnight, check the next day, and see if it's gone. If not, leave it a few days - if it's still not gone then it's unlikely to be rodents. If, however, it's vanished, then you've found your likely culprit.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

How far apart are the taps? I have an odd tapping noise that comes from the roof around much of the house. I discovered that it was dew dropping from the roof on to the roof below. I haven't got around to putting the spouting up yet :)

Reply to
Matty F

What about Central Heating? We get ticking noises (some loud, some faint) around our house, as the pipes first expand and later contract, as the CH goes on and off.

John

Reply to
John

You can get that with plastic guttering too in sunny weather it expands and contracts when it cools. But it is happening on cue at around 5 pm IIRC, so it must be plumbing as was said early on in the thread.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Couldn't you take out the phone with the first barrel, and the scrote with the second?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

:)

Actually a few tradesman have remarked that the scrotess is the really anal one... "I'll never do a job there again, ever".

Reply to
Tony Williams

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

i fear it might be rats - yuk!

tho how the f*ck did they get into the roof?!?!

Reply to
mo

If you think it's rats, all you have to phone is "phone the council" -- I think all councils are still dead good at this sort of thing (pest control), and they'll be straight round. This will at least put your mind at rest, if it's not rats.

John

Reply to
John

Does it sound a little like a mechanical wrist watch, and very feint?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In message , Chris writes

My parents had an old cottage with death watch beetles. You only get them in really old timber, and they're only noisy in the mating season, which is late spring to early summer, so it's not them.

As this is uk.d-i-y I think Mo should rig an infrared webcam in his roof to see if he can see anything. IME (and my experience is considerable) the smaller the wildlife in your roof/walls the noisier it is.

Or if we're going to guess, he should at least say how old his house is and what sort of area it's in.

Reply to
MadCow