Strange

Ancient Sharp mobile phone.
Rings for an incoming voice call but no one there! This effect seems to coincide with giving my mobile number to on line suppliers as the contact point. Are they trying to use some service not available on my phone?
--
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:18:22 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Doubt it. Probably waiting for the sound of a voice to trigger a switch to the next available operator. Occasionally there isn't one free and you have a silent call.
Apparently this is quite acceptable and in no way upsetting to anyone at all.

Hmm. I tend to give the home phone unless I may be elsewhere for a delivery. Random spam calls are pretty much unknown.
--
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:47:47 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I have a VOIP number I use as a moron trap. You leave a message or nothing happens.
I use true call for this function on my landline but the aforementioned scam is being used on mobile numbers. Brian
--
----- --
On 25/06/2019 14:18, Tim Lamb wrote:

No, they have sold your phone number to scammers who are autodialling it to see if it repsonds
Is the number o843, and claiming to be London? I've had two this morning and in most cases they only ring twice. Some phones seem to continue ringing even though the caller has cleared, so when its answered there is nobody there. However if you answer fast you find you get on a list, If you ring the number back as you see a missed call, you get billed 1.18p just to hear thank you for confirming your interest, we will be in touch, but of course they won't as they want your dosh each time and of course to confirm you on their marketing list to sell.
Vodafone told me they are powerless to stop this scam since the number owner can do what they like and as o843 numbers are outside my plan they will be charged, we can ban them, but I've blocked over 15 already and they just use another number in the list one assumes. Also although they say London most of the people you hear on the recordings sound very foreign to me. I suspect its merely a gateway to somewhere outside the jurisdiction of the UK, and if the numbers get shut off there are plenty more numbers in the sea so to speak. Its a good little earner as the amounts are not big, but they must mount up for the number owner and the supplier, so I see no sign of it stopping unless there is some specific legislation with teeth, not just an offcom letter with naughty boy written on it. Bah humbug. Brian
--
----- --

Likely. I would need glasses to read the number and don't normally wear them. By the time I've fumbled the phone out of my pocket, disengaged the sleeve, opened the phone and pressed the button they have gone.
My phone has aged beyond the date capability which upsets the *last number/ missed calls function*. I have now emptied the list so I should be able to check for 0843. Thanks
--
Tim Lamb

@blueyonder.co.uk says...

If that's all you are paying, you are getting off very lightly, Brian. A bit of web searching brings up this:
"Total 0843 number call costs will typically be anywhere from 9p to 65p per minute, plus up to an additional 7p per-call charge."
Also:
"Missed calls from 0843 numbers
Some low-value scams have been run using 0843 numbers. Typically, the owners of a rogue 0843 number will automatically ring thousands of regular landline and mobile phone numbers, but hang up almost immediately. The people who receive these calls then see the 0843 number in their list of missed calls ? and many will call the number back out of curiosity.
The 0843 number's owner then makes money from each call back they receive. Often, they will arrange for the 0843 number to connect the caller to a long recorded message or even a fake ringing tone, as a way of keeping them on the line for longer and increasing the call cost.
This kind of scam is often known as a 'callback scam', 'cost trap' or 'wangiri'."
--

Terry