Storing various drain pipes

At the moment I have lots of bits of spare drainage, from soil pipes to guttering, chucked into a space behind the garage.

However the garage is coming down so I need to relocate them (still some bits of work to do finishing off the main drainage, then I can get rid of the remainder).

I have limited unallocated space and the best place to store them seems to be alongside a wall of the monster shed at the bottom of the garden.

I am now wondering about the best structure.

So far, I have come up with:

Couple of fence posts in metal spikes with batten between them and the wall. fixed to the wall. Effectively minimal racking.

Loops of rope fixed to the wall so the pipes can be slid into them (possibly less capacity and ability to sort, but perhaps easier to fix).

Has anyone else built this kind of off-ground storage?

If so, what worked best?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Remember that most of this stuff will sag and acquire a bend over time using two point support. Soil pipe is stiffer than most, and you can stack guttering or "sink waste" inside that. I've got spare guttering stored flat on the ground between a shed and a wall. I keep my spare pipe on a couple of shelves.

I store some of my timber on a couple of these "in series" so that the span is a couple of feet, or so

Very solidly made, but plastic coated steel so they would eventually rust outdoors.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks - those are interesting for other uses as well.

I was trying to re-design my shelving and those could work along with my stock of "spare" wood sheets, mainly OSB.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Gutter brackets are surprisingly strong and cheap.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hmmm.....but how much guttering will they hold?

Then again the brackets to hold grey soil pipe against the wall are also pretty cheap (may even have some in stock) so perhaps I could mount the big pipes and then just slide the guttering and smaller pipes inside.

Thanks - that might be a plan!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I can't give an absolute figure but in a past life I stored two lengths of scaffold tubes per run of brackets screwed on the fence posts at about 6 foot pitch. So that was possibly 4 brackets per pair of tubes at

21 foot odd long. We did place them carefully and with out dragging but they stayed there for several years until I no longer wanted them there.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Scaffold tubes are not going to acquire a permanent set however long you leave them even with only two brackets though!

Excluding those bamboo ones used in the far east :-)

Reply to
newshound