Storage in loft

I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted

Reply to
Exhausted

The roof space tends to have a large temperature variation, so it is possible that some condensation will occur from moisture that is already in the box contents.

I use small packs of silica gel. I buy a large (cheap) pack of silica gel from a craft shop then make up smaller packs using small bags Tesco sell, intended for "favours" at weddings.

Reply to
Bruce

I've had documents in plastic boxes in the loft for a couple of years. They seem okay last time I looked. I'm thinking of getting vacuum bags for long term storage. They are supposed to protect against insect and damp.

Reply to
Alang

In addition to the advice you've been given here you should be able to find acid-free paper bags online. They really save spotting and other unwanted effects on stored paper.

Reply to
Ariadne

Exhausted coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've had all sorts of stuff stored in an uninsulated loft before. It's generally OK. IME, if paper goes in dry and it protected from dripping or pooled water, it stays dry. To a degree the paper can buffer moisture variations avoiding condensation, unlike metal tools, which are a bugger for going rusty if not stored right. Personally I might put a tiny breather hole in the base of the box.

As you said photos which I presume are valuable to you, perhaps, as someone else suggested, silica gel just to be really really sure. You can get it in bulk on the internet.

IME, mice and wasps are a bigger problem for destroying things - don't leave any way either can get in.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I have several boxes of papers (various sorts, but no photos) have been in my lost for 20+ years - they all seem fine, though I don't check on them very often. the boxes are old line-printer paper boxes with cardboard lids. I don't have any moisture ingress into the loft though it does get quite warm in the summer. Personally, I'd be more concerned with insects chewing them up than moisture/damp problems,

Reply to
Peter Lynch

So nicely "breathable". Most lofts are pretty dry they get very hot in the summer and even in winter appriecably warm if the sun is out. I'd be wary of a plastic box unless it is 100% gas tight and you have good amount of silica gell in as well.

I'd go for breathable boxes, lifted off any boarding so if you do get a leak and puddles they don't sit in it. Loosely covered with heavy duty polythene to keep dust and drips off.

Or rodents, they love paper for nests...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice