Stopcock not working, can't turn water off in street? what to do?

I think so too, my stopcock had sheared off in the house, and I didn't want the grief of changing it. Plumber came out and wouldn't touch it as the street valve was silted up.

Called the WaterCo and they had to dig it out an replace it (no charge)

Plumber came back and sorted the stopcock easily. (Having seen him do it, i'd do it myself now)

They did for me, as it is their property.

Who owns the pipe from the service valve to the stopcock ? Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Unfortunately at the expense of all the water in your house pipework rapidly dumping itself down the rising main shortly afterwards. Swings and roundabouts, really.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think even with the taps shut it will still drain out. After the pipe is cut the house pipework side of the pipe could be put over a bucket

Reply to
Paul

Have a garden hosepipe ready, leading outside. Jam it over the house end of the cut pipe, pdq. :)

Reply to
Tony Williams

Mine didn't. I made sure that all the taps and toilets were firmly off, first. Even the slightest opening of a tap/ballvalve would have allowed air in and the water out.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle