Stopcock

Yup same happened to a friend of mine a good few (probably >25) years ago. They were on holiday and the cistern in the loft ruptured, and then the ball valve attempted to refill it. Their neighbours worked out there was a problem some days later when water came through their lounge wall, and had to break in the shut the water off.

I seem to recall the insurance claim was basically to replace nearly the entire house contents, and redecorate everything, plus all new carpets and curtains.

Reply to
John Rumm

my daughter & son-in-law let their house while they were away studying for Divinity Diploma. A very nice Spanish family who went home for Christmas and, being economically minded, turned off the boiler berore departing. It took 6 months for the house to dry out after the burst pipe. Luckily the insurance company paid for it.

Reply to
charles

The galvanised iron tank in my loft looks very rusty and I've been putting off replacing with a plastic one but wondered if there was the need for anything as large as the approximately 50 gallon one? I would need to replace the 3/4 inch galvanised pipe in the under floor run which will entail removing the floor and, possibly, bath.

The reason I'm thinking seriously about replacement is because of the problems I had replacing the bath mixer tap. I couldn't turn off the taps from the tank, I certainly haven't tried to in the past 40 years, as they are seized and I didn't want to force anything, so I drained the cistern and hot water tank to below the bath level. It was very cramped under the bath to fit the taps so I tried not to disturb the copper and made the mistake of not replacing the olive. Result was when I tightened the nut onto the tap the old olive failed to seal and the taps both weep slightly and I'll have to go through the whole rigmarole of draining, resealing and refilling in the cistern.

Anyway would it be alright to use a bit of gasket sealant to the 20mm tap inlet rather than have to renew the tails and olives?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

In message <op.zusrhfehtwqie3@fraxinus>, AJH snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk> writes

An opportunity to change to a pressurised system?

Others may know better but I think a bit of PTFE tape will fix the olive issue.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You are probably right Tim but that's a summer job if ever. I currently have a non condesing suprima in the downstairs toilet and I wonder if a modern boiler will fitt an allw sufficient headroom.

I'll try that then, how many turns? Currently the floor board is only mildly wet from the leak so it can wait till vistors leave in the new year.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

In message <op.zuuwrikntwqie3@fraxinus>, AJH snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk> writes

I take it you have tried longer spanners:-)

Umm. 3-5? You are only trying to fill minor gaps.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We had one in our old house that started leaking.

What happened was that the side of the tank rusted through along the water line, presumably because the mixture of water and oxygen in the air at that point had a greater corrosion potential than just water alone.

So, based on that experience, I would suggest that you adjust the ballcock to lower the water level slightly. It might result an a useful extension of the tank's life.

I second Tim's PTFE tape suggestion!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I remember, some years ago, when a local building was being refurbished for conversion to a restaurant.

It was a fair sized building - 2 storeys, plus attic offices and cellars. About 50 ft wide and somewhat deeper.

Overnight, someone stole all the copper plumbing, leaving the water puring into the cellars. By morning, the building had collapsed!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

:-D