Stop/ start - fail

Yes, especially when leaving bright sunlight and entering a section of road with big trees in leaf when a car coming the other way has DLRs .

Reply to
Andrew

Rather than engage the pinion starter, it runs the alternator as a motor and restarts via the fan belt, that's why it doesn't use it until the engine is warmed-up and the oil is less viscous.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On the other hand, if the oncoming car has its DRLs on, you will at least

*see* it, when everything else is very dark because your eyes haven't yet adjusted to the deep shade after the bright sunlight. That's when DRLs are at their most useful - when lighting changes frequently. Some of the best DRLs might even be designed to dim when the ambient light dims from full sunlight to deep shade.

DRLs during the day are *far, far* less dazzling (for me) than brake lights on the car a few feet in front of me at night in a queue. That's why I keep my use of footbrake to a minimum (ie not to keep me stationary in a queue of traffic). I tend to keep my footbrake on if I'm the rear-most car in a queue, and there could be fast traffic approaching, but once the car behind me has started to slow down, I come off the footbrake, having already have applied the handbrake as part of the subconscious "footbrake to a halt, handbrake, neutral, waggle gear lever to confirm I really *am* in neutral, clutch-up" procedure.

Reply to
NY

My car (BMW 7) has an automatic handbrake and an automatic gear box. When the auto handbrake function is enabled and the car comes to a stop, the handbrake is automatically applied. To move off just press the accelerator. While at rest the engine stops as well. Nothing could be simpler. However I dislike the fact that the rear brake lights stay on when the handbrake is applied

Reply to
fred

Properly applied stop/ start technology monitors the condition of the battery and will not function if it senses the battery level is getting low.

Reply to
fred

Thanks. I guess they worked out an efficient way to turn an alternator into a motor.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I do, almost every time I park the car.

No point in doing it that way instead.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

I know the problem. My Ford seems to be sensitive to brake pedal pressure, and it is possible to lift off enough to restart the engine without allowing movement, which can be handy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes mine is sensitive to brake pressure, if you come to a very gentle halt, the stop-start (and the hold assist) don't activate, there are indications on the dash for each of them, but when they have activated, you can touch the accelerator gently to restart without actually setting off, or a tug at the steering wheel does the same, or knocking the auto box into 'S' or 'M'

All these systems seem to have their foibles ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It also inhibits if the engine block is too cold or becomes too cold whilst you are stopped in traffic which makes it eerily auto-start spontaneously and display a line through its automatic stop engine icon.

It is a bit unnerving the first time it happens to you.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There is if the vehicle is left outside and unused for up to 3 weeks or more.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes I once parked at a hotel near the cruise terminal in Southampton, and parked with the handbrake on as normal. I regretted it when we got back from the cruise, because the rear brake shoes had stuck to the discs, probably exacerbated by the salty sea air. There was a loud crunch as they came unstuck when I drove off, and a rhythmic grating noise for a few miles after that whenever I applied the brakes (*). So now I park in gear (even though I'm on the level) with the handbrake off. I notice that when we've opted for valet parking on subsequent cruises, the car is always left in the car park like that when we come to pick it up.

Reply to
NY

Precisely why I park with hand brake off (outside my house).

There is a slight gradient, which would allow the car to move if in neutral and handbrake off, but leaving it in 1st gear stops it moving.

Reply to
Andrew

Have you ever looked at discs after being parked up for some time in bad weather? Covered in rust - apart from where the pads shield it. And you'll get the same graunching when first used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's probably the fact that auto stop/start is only active when the belt is fastened, it is in my car. Unfasten the belt and the auto stop/start is disabled and if the engine is stopped, it restarts so that the engine behaves as if there was no stop / start. i.e. you started it so it should be running till you stop it.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Sure, but it makes no sense for most to always park that way for that very rare for most situation.

Reply to
jeikppkywk