Stone dust collection bin

I am going to be cutting through a wall with an angle grinder and I wish to cut down the dust as much as possible.

I have an idea for a dust collection bin.

Here's how it works.....

I will get a drum of some kind (one that can be sealed) that is fairly robust and will not cave in. In the top of the bin I will cut a hole that is the same size of the vaccuum hose. At the other side at the top I will cut another hole that I will insert a plastic waste pipe that extends down to the bottom of the bin. The bin will then be filled a 1/4 of the way with water.

Another hose will be run from the waste pipe to a collector near where the cutting will be done. When the vaccuum is switched on it will suck air through the system and filter the fine dust through the water.

Will it work and be worth the effort?

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

I have actually done this BTW ... consider carefully you could avoid the dust by using a stone cutter and small amounts of water. See

I think you will need a very good vac with mega suction to capture the all the dust!

... if you go this way there are various dust collection systems that can be bought off the shelf. The Triton one I have (use for timber / mdf mainly) works well from a std vac. See bucket in

The bucket cost about £30 IIRC and can be bought from B&Q warehouses. How effective it would be in this application, I am not sure as the operation really will create a hell of lot of dust.

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Yes (depending on some details) and yes.

Build a cyclone - they're very easy

How to make really rubbish cyclones that work surprisingly well

to make real ones

Andy Dingley

Forgot to really mention that I already have a grinder and disk and don't really want to spend any extra cash at all. The bucket looks like what I have in mind... maybe I will use one a bit bigger though, all the fittings I have or can get from my dad for free. The main important difference is the 'water filtration' part, as the dust and air are sucked through the water it should catch most of the dust and save the vaccumm from being clogged.

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

and extension I could adapt it for the dusty work and convert it back when I need to do wood work type jobs

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Should do both as per the design.

I didn't suggest cyclones as it looked like a one off. I was thinking about making one too, but when I saw the Triton thingy, I decided I could not be arsed as I would spend probably half the price on hoses & fittings etc which I did not have.

Good luck & have fun.

Reply to
AlexW

The triton has a lifetime cleanable filter I use mine with an earlex combi vac sometimes with the filter removed (for max suck).

If you can get the bits for free, that's half the battle ... get with the cyclonic vibe!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I think the problem is that the vacuum (even when not having to try to pull a stream of air through water) can't create a strong enough/high enough volume airflow to capture the sheer mega blast of dust an angle grinder kicks out. For my next attempt at chasing a wall with an angle grinder I think I might rig up a _big_ fan (30 cm dia or so) I aquired from some old computer air cooling kit and see if it'll at least keep the dust cloud from permeating the rest of the house I'm working in (even if it covers the street outside in dust :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles