Stihl chainsaw - anyone stripped one down

MInes never missed a beat in twelve years but today its showing all the signss of shit in the main jet - runs at idle, cuts when throttle opened up as if its run out of juice.

Its the smallest one they do..wondered if anyone knew how to take one apart and clean it up...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I have. Chainsaw model would help. Have you been using old fuel, or left it fuelled since last Spring? Removing carb is not too much a problem. Linkages can be fiddly. First check fuel tank, clunk, and ALL the fuel lines. Clean, flush and reassemble. Loads of stuff if you google. Have you fiddled with carb settings? If you intend to take the saw apart (crankcase etc) take some very deep breaths and be within sight of your cursing tree. Most likely problems are fuel related. Also check that the fuel cap is seating properly. IMO Stihl 2 strokes are the most reliable I have ever come across, and I've come across a few. Ensure carb gasket is good, otherwise replace. Is the spark plug of similar vintage? Check.

12yo is just a youngster but seals/ O rings in the carb might benefit for replacement if dried out. Reset the carb adjustment screws as per manual, add fresh fuel mixture and start pulling. When it runs, and I'm fairly sure it will, adjust carb. Actually, thinking about it. Your saw is running. Try this. Check spark plug & note colour/condition. Replace if necessary. Tip out all existing fuel. Get some fresh 2 stroke mix @ 50:1. Use decent quality 2 stroke oil. Start saw and let it run on high idle for a few minutes to warm up and clear fuel lines. Give it a blip every now and then. I'll wager it will settle down and run smoothly. But I could be wrong. My oldest & smallest Stihl chainsaw is 33yo. Used it last w/e, lovely saw. Touch wood. Good luck.
Reply to
Nick

More likely the filter inside/adjacent to the fuel tank is bunged up with wood chippings. Also check air filter is clean before getting into the technical stuff.

Reply to
harryagain

yes, but in fact it was topped up with fresh fuel twice and ran for over an hour before this happened.

IIRC its a 175?

the 'how' of removing the carb was what I was after..

nah. I just want to access the fuel system not the engine guts.

I.e. to clear shit out of the tank, clunk (if it has one) float chamber (if it has one) and especially the jets, because if it is a 'main jet/idle jet' it is showng every sign of a blocked main jet..

As I said although it took a long time to start (haven't used it for two years and in fact had forgotten how, but finally remembered what the various choke setting meant: I had flooded it) I got a good hours cutting out of it during which time it ran perfectly until it did the 'I am running out of fuel ' thing. I filled it up, but it wasnt empty. I restarted it, and it would idle but not run above that. Since 90% of te fallen tree was now firewood, and te chain needed sharpening, I packed it all in and deciuded toask befre applying the screwdriver to it.

Exactly. This one has never been serviced in 12 years and although it doesn't get a LOT of use - maybe 10-20 ours a year, but none last year because I was laid up after chemotherapy, it hasn't missed a beat, apart from new chains and resharpen chains.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most chain saws have a fuel filter at the end of the pipe in the tank.

My ancient McCulloch has a cylinder of spongy foam fitted in the expanded pipe end. The usual trick is to prise the fuel pipe out of the filler cap, remove the filter, give it a few squeezes, rotate the cylinder and refit.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That'll probably be the little fiddly rubber tube that uses crank case depression to pump fuel to the carb. They eventually perish AMHIK ! All the manuals and parts diagrams for Stihl are on line if you search. I've got them as .pdfs for the 023 and 038 models that I have if you want copies?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson