Stelrad Ideal W2000 RS60 not lighting

I turned the pilot light off after some discussion here, but now it is getting cool enough to think about getting the heating going again (before it becomes urgent).

I have followed the instructions inside the boiler (where not covered by a service agent's sticky label advert) and the pilot light has relit, much to my relief.

However I have turned the heating and hot water on at the controller and although the lights are on, I heard a valve move and I think I can hear the pump running the boiler does not light.

I have turned the power switch back on to the boiler.

I haven't yet checked that there is power to the boiler (fuse, etc.).

Given that the system was working before I turned the pilot light off I was wondering if I'd missed anything obvious.

I've looked online for the manual but the download sites want to charge about £25 and the GC number doesn't quite match. My GC no. is 4141589.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Ah...humm....

I listened to the boiler and I could hear a (mains type) humming, which went away when I turned the power switch off and came back when I turned it on. This made me suspect that the gas control valve was stuck. I felt the body of the valve casing and it was warm. I gave the valve casing a good rattling with the side of my fist and the plastic slider used to prime and light the pilot light moved a little. The boiler then lit immediately.

So the gas control valve was stuck, possibly cause by the slider not returning fully (or possibly not).

Assuming that it manages to turn the boiler on and off again that hopefully is that for the moment. The boiler has one more season before it is replaced, probably by a combi.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Is that you DIY job for the summer?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Does your gas valve knob have a lighting position and once lit requires turning to a running position? (Some do but I can't recall if your boiler uses that type)

Reply to
cynic

Does your gas valve knob have a lighting position and once lit requires turning to a running position? (Some do but I can't recall if your boiler uses that type)

******** No. Make sure power to boiler is off. Slide knob to right until resistance is felt, then release. [Presumably didn't return the last few mm] Wait for 3 minutes. Press knob in and light using button. Hold knob in for at least 15 seconds. Release. Assuming the pilot light stays in, turn on power to boiler and turn on central heating controls. Boiler should then light. Or not, in which case you hit it until it does. [Although that last instruction was obscured by the stick on label from the pillock who thought it would bring him repeat business.]

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Summer? What is this 'summer' of which you speak?

Oh, you mean next summer? No way. Having the back of the house rebuilt amongst other things and I know when I can take my time for DIY and when to call the professionals in. Sheds at the bottom of the garden are one thing, but tearing the back off the house and removing internal walls and a chimney are not things you do at a gentle pace.

Anyway, I have proved empirically that despite loads of people telling me how easy it is and that anyone can do it my soldering sucks big time. Not what you want when doing gas fitting.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts