Steam Room

I plan to build a tiled steam room in an extension. The only thing I am not sure about is how to construct the seat. I want one that is nicely curved to be comfortable.

It will be a rectangular room with a straight seat along one side, so I only have curves to worry about in one dimension.

I am thinking of a wooden frame over which strips of tile backer are secured, sealed together and then tiled with mosaic tiles.

Has anyone done this before who can give any advice?

Reply to
Peter Crighton

Peter Crighton wibbled on Friday 15 January 2010 16:14

I'd worry that the tiles would get hot and if you shift, may be uncomfortable. The seats I've seen have either been wood slats (dry sauna) or plastic (wet steam). How about some wooden slatted benching?

Reply to
Tim W

Tiles are fine - they are commonly used for steam rooms. I've never seen wood used in a steam room (only a sauna), only plastic or tiles, and tiles look nicer.

Reply to
Peter Crighton

For sitting on???

I have seen wooden slatted seats in a steam room AND a sauna box but also the Plastic (?) ones . In either event I always used a couple of layers of MY towels ( for various reasons incl comfort as they were public places )

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yes - they are fine.

I've only ever seen wooden slatted benches in saunas (not in steam rooms).

Reply to
Peter Crighton