Standalone flame detector ?

Anyone know of a standalone flame detector ?

I know they exist for cigarettes providing a recorded message, however I want one which screams its head off.

A relative just left a tea towel on an electric hob. Despite interlinked smoke alarms AND a heat alarm in the kitchen, the only evidence of the event was a tar stained cooker hood grease filter (on) and a pile of ash on the hob.

A simple UV? flame detector would have shrieked its head off (no smokers, electric hob). Ok it rules out the usual "flamed cooking", but I'm surprised one doesn't exist somewhere. Google doesn't show anything apart from the cig-arrete type.

Reply to
js.b1

They have talking cigarettes? What do they say?

Reply to
Graham.

When I was shopping for smoke detectors and kitchen heat detector I looked at these but decided the cost (GBP250 upwards) was not justified as (i) they all seemed geared towards industrial events (eg gas and gasoline) and (ii) it was unclear they would detect most kitchen events. For example, what makes you think your (former) tea towel burnt with UV emissions? I also never saw them recommended for domestic use.

If you are interested still just search for ultraviolet fire/flame detectors.

Reply to
neverwas

That is a problem - most are aimed at cigarettes which I suspect have a markedly different signature than a cotton tea-towel flame.

Ok, many thanks for the reply.

-- Jason

Reply to
js.b1

In message , js.b1 writes

The original Potterton Netaheat (pre 407676) has a spark generator / flame sense module. If you took e.g. the neon out, it would work purely as a flame sense device

Reply to
geoff

In message , Graham. writes

"A ya got a loight boi?"

Reply to
geoff

Flames give of UV. I would guess cigarettes give of relatively little UV. In the early days of UV detectors, in public areas where smoking was banned, the intention was to catch people lighting up using a lighter.

Reply to
Fredxx

In message , geoff writes

And I thought you were talking about a cooker there, for some reason

Reply to
geoff