Square aerials (OT)

I think there were a few similar systems to Ionica which used the same tech., It wasn't a Square aerial more a hexagonal one..

Reply to
tony sayer

They were called Atlantic Telecom in Scotland. I worked for the Shower for a few months, until I could see it would never work.

Reply to
yendor

Looks like first place credits to Tony and Jan.

Yes, it was Ionica.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

It was competing with ISDN at the time it was envisioned.

Luton/Dunstable was another of their initial areas. They started one autumn, and installations went well all through winter and early spring. And then some 20% or more of their customers were cut off as the trees grew leaves the following year. They folded sortly after that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is the Tele2 setup, still in place above no.38 adjacent to the Streetcar. Definitely square ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

In article , Nick Leverton scribeth thus

Yes differing design to the Ionica aerial. I haven't seen one around for quite some time now, a lot were removed when the local aerial fraternity were upgrading pre digital switchover..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Well from what I remember they were definitely pushing POTS lines and seemed rather proud that their aerial could supply Two lines;!...

Yes that is a bit of an issue with systems like that . One reason I reckon that radio broadband services haven't quite caught on as they might have done..

Reply to
tony sayer

IIRC there was a competing satellite broadcaster called "British Satellite Broadcasting" who's customers were isued with "Squarials". Inevitably they went down the tubes and Sky took the business, the only proviso being that the new company (Murdoch) was to be called "British Sky Broadcasting" as a sop to the failed contender.

DerekG

Reply to
geldard.derek