'spur' question

In my kitchen ... coming off a 32A ring main, is an unfused spur that feeds a single socket on an island unit. Kitchen is being replaced ... on new island unit it will have built in a warming drawer (400W max)

I need to power that, and also keep at least one socket.

If I use the spur feed and terminate on a fused spur ... then feed the warming drawer & socket from that, will that comply ? The circuit is thus protected from overload.

Rick

Reply to
rick

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

What about diverting the ring main to the single socket then to the fused connection unit then back to the ring? I added three sockets using this method and the job was passed by my mate in Scottish Power.

Reply to
Scott

+1
Reply to
ARW

He doesn't need to, he can add more sockets after the spur if he wants, he just can't run two high power appliances from them without some risk of the fuse in the spur blowing.

Reply to
dennis

I know he doesn't need to but is it not best practice to use a ring configuration where possible? What if the house is sold or rented? How is the next person supposed to distinguish between full fat sockets and semi-skimmed?

Reply to
Scott

How is he supposed to know which end of a ring the plugs are and what not to plug into them to avoid overloading the ring?

Reply to
dennis

It never happens.

Reply to
ARW

On 06/08/2019 16:16, Scott wrote: it is thus protected from overload.

Not an option .. would mean chiselling out wall .... ruining tiles .... I run in the spur to island ... just never expected would need mote than

1 socket .... but putting a fused spur at end of cable solves it for me.
Reply to
rick

Ta

Reply to
rick

Ta ... all made sense to me .. but long time since I did my electrical course, wanted to make sure still OK

Reply to
rick

That 1.8A thermostically controlled load is is not going to make much difference.

Reply to
arwadsworth2020