Spare key source?

I have seen this type of key and lock usually on industrial equipment and I'm wondering if a spare can be cut from a blank. In this case it is on the gas bottle locker of my caravan and I only have one key for it.

The part of the key which fits into the lock is tubular, with protrusions inside the tube to match the lock. It is marked 'Southco' and also bears a number. The lock itself has a matching circular slot, the centre part of which is turned to lock and unlock.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If it's anything like the southco keys used on train station ticket barriers, they can be made from an allen key with a hole drilled down the middle.

Would it be this one by any chance?

Owain

mark

snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote on 08/10/2008 :

find anything like it on their site. I thought Timco type lock places might be able to perhaps cut one, if I could find a name for the type of lock/key?

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Owain laid this down on his screen :

's it :-)

I thought they would be all different and need to be cut to fit the lock, but neither seller mentions that.

Thanks a lot!!!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for scrotes that buy a universal key here

Reply to
Kevin

I used to have to drill these locks out of Solitaire Payphones when the customer lost their key

fit a new lock complete with new keys.

Reply to
Graham.

You are reading what isn't written.

"Secure" - Doesn't unlock due the vibration of the van whilst being towed. "Safe" - See above, locker stays closed, no danger of gas cylinder bouncing out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

perhaps I needed to concentrate more at school :-) but using the same logic why have a lock and key at all ?

Reply to
Kevin

it's like the gas and lecky meter boxes, need to be kept closed so they dont blow open and keep the weather out, but needs to be easily opened, hence the low security key,

it just looks neater than a draw bolt screwed onto the front of the locker i guess.

Reply to
gazz

It is a Bramah type lock, although I would have though most people would recognise the description cylindrical key lock. A true locksmith can probably do one for you, but I'm not sure about simple key cutting places.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

No just be more cynical and be aware of marketing speak. Both politicians and marketing types are very good at using words in such a double speak manner.

It does keep out the casual opportunist tea leaf.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's called a "pipe key"

[books_google_co_uk]

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Gas lockers are only fibreglass. If you're trying to steal the bottles, just break it and save yourself the cost of a key.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It isn't. A Bramah is a tube with radial slots sawn in it. The bitting of the key is controlled by the depth (and rarely the angle) of these slots. There are no protrusions on the tube of a Bramah key, other than a single one just to index it in the keyhole.

Reply to
Andy Dingley