Source of chafing gel fuel needed

This morning we bought something I've wanted for ages - a table top stone grill. Lidl's blurb said it use spirit burners.
The burners aren't what we'd call spirit fuelled (i.e. meths or the equivalent) and there's no wick in them. The instructions say chafing gel fuel must be used. None was provided and Lidl didn't have any when Spouse went back, they'd never had it, didn't expect it coming in nor could they suggest where to buy it.
Google suggests various catering sources which will be a last resort.
Has anyone here any experience of this stuff and where we might be able to get it locally? A camping shop perhaps??
I'm sure someone will know.
I HOPE someone will know!
:-)
Mary

Costco sell some American camping burner type thing in a can, which I think is a gel can't recall what it's called though.

I do now;Sterno. The cans are the size of small baked bean tins.

That's the stuff!
But I don't have a Costco card :-(
Thanks anyway!
Mary

Oh, sad. :-(
Make your own then? Recipe here. http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm Knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Well, I've managed to live so far without one :-)
I went to a Costco once in Washington State. I didn't enjoy the experience. There's one in our city but we haven't bothered ...

Mmmm - interesting! We're not short of eggshells (have our own hens!)
Bookmarked, thanks.
Mary

The flammable gel stuff was originally called Napalm but, as it brings back memories of their last defeat, the Yanks have renamed it. They stockpiled loads of it for the Iraq war but when one of the brighter members of the administration pointed out that as Iraq is mostly desert so doesn't need 'defoliating', and they could think of no other justification for spraying the stuff onto the populace, they had to find another use for it. Consequently they're subsidising the manufacture of cheap stoves which burn the stuff and disguising it as economic aid to the third world, AIUI Union Carbide has the contract for these in India.
Rgds
Andy R

What you want is "firegel" Try a local hardware store or somewhere that stocks "new age" junk - lamps, candles etc.
Or you could try Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-Fire-Gel-BIG-1-Litre-Bottles-Clean-burning_W0QQitemZ170058463085QQihZ007QQcategoryZ16116QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:20:27 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Makro sell it. We use quite a bit of it, and generally buy it from them in cartons of 24.
Mary Fisher wrote:

Do you need a doorstop? This thing is disappointingly poor quality. Rather than soapstone it's a cheap marble. You can't cook on it, you can't even carve moulds into it and use it to cast bronze into.

Lidl's burners are pretty rubbish too - not a patch on a Trangia, or even my current favourite a Heineken penny stove (Google it).
OTOH, if you stuff them with suitable wick material, they'll run meths. It needs to be packed fairly high, so as to allow a reasonable vapour cloud around the side holes. Try fibreglass or rockwool loft insulation, with a springy bit of stiff wire mesh to hold it in place. Alternatively, a charity shop fondue set might donate one.

It's dead easy to find, but you might need a time machine. Any big Tescomart at the end of the summer. Look for gel barbecue lighter - probably on bargain offer prices too. Other than that, try an industrial catering supplier, like Pattersons in Bristol.

You bought one too?

It looked more like reconstituted stone to me, but that doesn't matter.

We'll see :-)

No, but he could turn it into spindle whorls :-)

If they were rubbish it would be the first time we've bought any of their stuff and been disappointed. For the price it won't have been a tragedy.

That sounds interesting.

I found them (and thought about you) but you had to buy quite a lot. The other place I've got on hold is Nisbets which aren't charging carriage.
These weren't the answers I wanted but interesting nevertheless, thanks, Andy.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Last time they were about. Today I just bought a crate of clementines for the office.

Put some heat into it and you'll crack it.

You can crack it even faster that way.
Anyone know of a UK source for real soapstone that's bigger and cheaper than Tiranti?

The marble I use in my oven doesn't crack ...
If it does crack I have plenty more - like the stuff in the oven :-)

No but I'll ask around if you really want ...
Mary

Spouse has just seen this and says that we'll try it. If it cracks he'll make spindle whorls from it which will more than make up for the price.
<works out rough sum in head>
It will make a huge profit.
<thinks>
wonder if they have any left ... ?
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

Expensive way to buy marble though.

Oh come on, it waas very cheap.
We do have a large stock of white marble, someone was breaking a fireplace so we helped him dispose of it :-)
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

7 quid for a rock? On eBay I can buy sapphires for that much!
(And almost the same size too. Anyone got ideas on what to do with 3/4" diameter rubies?)
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

link please ? the mrs likes collecting baubles and rocks :-)

Jewels have never appealed to me unless they have an industrial use :-)
Mary

snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

niiiiice.