Sound proofing a stud partition

So what is the consensus on sound proofing (or at least deadening the sound transmission) through 38x70 stud partitions. Ignoring other effects for the moment (e.g. airgaps, the effects of doors, transmission thru ceilings and floors thru to the next room, etc) , what is the best *cost-effective* way to insulate the wall itself?

Suggestions I 've seen

  1. Double layer of plasterboard (staggered at joints)
  2. Double layer of different thickness plasterboard (something to do with resonant frequencies) - does this actually work ?
  3. ISOWOOL insulation or Acoustic slabs
  4. Soundproof matting (looks expensive !)
  5. Resilent bars (looks interesting - would like to know more if any one has any experience with them - see
    Building a double partition with staggered studs and a gap (Don't really want to do this as space is a premium)

And before anyone suggests it, building a brick or breeze block wall is out of the question....

I guess I won't definative answer, but more interested in the experiences of anyone who has done any of the above - do they work or would you have don eit another way in the end ?

Ta

Steve

Reply to
Trab Nospmis

PS. Should add that this is only for between two children's bedrooms and a hall. I'm not actually building a sound proof studio or anything like that - just trying to cut down on any potential noises.

Reply to
Trab Nospmis

As a "temporary experiment" ( 5 years ago !! ) in my listening room with a single brick party wall.... I used Wickes's dense rockwool batts glued to the wall with tile adhesive with 12mm plasterboard in front propped up behind my equipment shelves. I can no longer hear my neigbours' conversation on their hall phone on the other side of the wall - which I judge to be a cut of about 3dB.

I nailed 12mm plasterboard on the glazed door.

Flooring is cotton mats over coir over carpet over felt underlay over floorboards.

At some point this year I will have to do something permanent.

I originally had a perverse notion to dryline the party walls with plasterboard sheets inside a 2 x 2 frame suspended on a rubber surround - packed behind with rockwool ... like a low Q loudspeaker ... inspired by the vast acreage of electrostatic loudspeaker diaphragm driving the room. (not wishing to sacrifice the bedroom above as a bass trap)

My requirements are to tune out bass resonances as well as to minimise offence to my neighbours.

... I probably shouldn't replace the lath and plaster ceiling with plasterboard in this room ...

Jeremy

.. probably helps to explain still being single at 45 :-( :-(

Reply to
brugnospamsia

I did option 6 to cure sound coming through porous brickwork between next door neighbour's bathroom adjacent to my bedroom, ie added new secondary wall made from studs and plasterboard only fixed around the edges, so it's isolated from the original bricks. Voids filled with fibre. It took about

7.5 cm thickness to do using 2" square studs as I remember but was totally effective. Now there's more noise coming round the corner from untreated walls in other rooms. I think there's a commercial outfit who do similar retrofitting.
Reply to
John

This one. This was the recommended one to use by my BCO when he came to inspect my new WC installation, which used stud walls.

I used the Wickes rockwool slabs, as has another poster on this thread.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
zymurgy

Where in the building regs does it say you mustn't be able to hear a toilet ?

Reply to
Mike

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Dunno, But they wouldn't sign off the installation without the rockwool. I couldn't leave the voids empty. I didn't fancy arguing the toss with the surveyor ;-)

HTH

Pau.

Reply to
zymurgy