Something inside my loo pipe

On at least 3 occasions now I have heard a scraping scrabbling noise coming from the corner of the house where the internal foul stack is.
It sounds like a bird or animal with claws, inside and trying to get up the pipe, presumably because it can see daylight.
I'm pretty sure it is not inside the house.
I am on a spur of 9 houses connected to a 100mm run of drainage and apart from the house at the head of the spur, they are original properties with bird guards in situ.
If the neighbour hadn't covered her half of the shared manhole connection I would lift and see if the poor creature (probably a starling, they get everywhere) could escape.
Andrew wrote:

Bird balanced on the top?
On 17/08/2018 15:14, Andy Burns wrote:

+1 My boiler has a vertical metal flue lining running through the top floor and up a previously disused chimney. The flue is has a terminal cap/fitment. Quite often a pigeon perching/cooing on this terminal makes it sound like the bird is actually trapped within the boiler.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/08/2018 14:56, Andrew wrote:

A rat?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 15:35:20 +0100, F wrote:

+1 The first and most obvious suspect.
On 17/08/2018 15:35, F wrote:

The previous time I heard this noise it had made it up to the 'horizontal' section connecting loo to stack so I flushed it away.
He's a good swimmer if its the same one.

They are brilliant swimmers.
I was waiting for one in the garden to give it a lead injection but it spotted me and diverted from the normal trail I was covering and leapt into the pond and swam to the other side under the water where I saw it emerge and get away. Took seconds. They may be a nuisance and a health hazard but there is no denying they have evolved into very efficient biological specimens.
GH
On 18/08/2018 09:35, Marland wrote:

The mystery is, the drainage is 'modern' (1976), using hepworth or Naylor glazed earthenware pipes with plastic/epdm connectors so I'm not sure where he could get in. This isn't an area that has a rat problem, lacking running streams or ponds, or fast food outlets.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:26:10 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Farms out in the sticks get a lot of rats, too. It's not just an inner city thing.
On 19/08/2018 14:51, Cursitor Doom wrote:

We've had rats out in the garden. But still no idea how it would get into the sewer pipes.
Andy
Rats can chew through many things. What makes you think a plastic pipe isn't one of them?
On 20/08/2018 14:06, Cynic wrote:

I think even a rat would struggle to chew through a 110mm plastic waste pipe from the *inside*.

But we are discussing how it gets inside, not how it gets out.
On 19/08/2018 21:22, Vir Campestris wrote:

Possibly from the drains. I opened the inspection chamber cover some time back and found a frog living in there!
On Monday, 20 August 2018 19:54:37 UTC+1, Sam wrote:

Bloody foreigners they get everywhere !
On Friday, 17 August 2018 14:56:16 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Rats. The reason for a lid on the toilet is so they can't see the light and be tempted to enter the house.

I thought they were invented by women, to nag men about once we learned to put the seat down.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Friday, 17 August 2018 20:49:46 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIWA_54_DC4

On 18/08/18 08:00, harry wrote:

WTF harry? Your toilet needs a clean.
On 17/08/18 17:31, harry wrote:

Methinks that's a bit of old wife's tale there. Probably your mummy telling you that so you'd put the lid down.