Somebody used permanent ink on the whiteboard

I can say I have been told but never tried that if someone writes on a whiteboard with a permanent marker, the cure is write ove with a whiteboard marker and then erase.

Reply to
Julian Macassey

I have a large bottle of the stuff. Combined with perfume spray bottles, it provided me with hand sanitisers when they were difficult to get hold of.

I was pointing out that abbreviations can have more than one meaning. In this case, India Pale Ale was what came to mind immediately I saw IPA and I had to think what was actually meant.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Two that haven't been mentioned so far are methylated spirits & lighter fluid.

Reply to
wasbit

Kitty Dukakis (wife of US Presidential candidate) has tried it.

My wife gets through lots of IsoPropyl, buying it 5 liters at a time, but I have never heard it called IPA, reservinng that three letter acronym (TLA) for beer.

Usually, alcohol and spirit are terms meant for methylated of denatured alcohol.

Reply to
Julian Macassey

IME that sometimes worked because the solvent in the whiteboard marker dissolved the "permanent" marker. Most of my experience was from the good old days when whiteboard markers used toluene and were worth more than a sniff but worth trying with modern ones if no IPA to hand.

Reply to
Robin

Colours on black are problematic.

The most readable text is bright yellow on a black background. The numbering on camera lenses is an example.

When I was a lad some classrooms used bright yellow chalk on the blackboards.

Reply to
Julian Macassey

In your world perhaps, in mine they refer to a range of useful chemicals

Methanol Ethanol Isopropyl alcohol. Poly Vinyl Alcohol Butyl alcohol...etc etc

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Another utter trite post. You provide an incredible amount of misinformation.

Unless, of course, you're suggesting to the OP he heats this up to 200C to melt it before applying to the white-board. Would you be confident the whiteboard might not melt too?

Reply to
Fredxx

Don't forget the addition of a small amount of water is said to improve isopropanol's germ-killing abilities.

"higher than recommended concentrations are also paradoxically less potent because proteins are not denatured easily without the presence of water."

Pamela

What you do in a shed stays in the shed, know what I mean ;-)

But I didn't think IPA was short form for IsoPropyl Alcohol

but there's is the International Phonetic Alphabet

Reply to
whisky-dave

Whiteboards tend to be used as screens for computer projection displays or possible even old-fashioned overhead projectors, as well as for writing or drawing upon.

Reply to
SteveW

Same thing.

Reply to
JNugent

Suggested some posts above.

It does work.

Reply to
JNugent

Been on for several weeks as stated in my op. How do I determine if it has polymerised (not that I understand what that means in this context).

Reply to
AnthonyL

Try the solvents. FWIW ipa is much like ethanol & is consumed

Reply to
Animal

EEW, by whom?

Reply to
soup

Polymerised mens 'set' in this context - a chemical change has happened and it wont now dissolve again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some modicum of success today.

Firstly tried a range of items on one particular part of text:

Isopropyl Switch Cleaner Meths White spirit "Safeclean" Tape head cleaner Solvent Activator (Typewriter ink remover) - Isopropanol

None of these appeared to do anything.

Finally I went over a bit of the writing with an old (10+ yrs) green non-toxic whiteboard pen then gave that a wipe with Barrettine Cellulose thinners which contains a right cocktail of stuff including acetate, acetone, various alcohols etc

and lo and behold as clean as a whistle.

We were doing this indoors and at this point, as we were getting a bit high :) thought it prudent to go outside.

So we then tried the Cellulose thinners on their own, nothing, so then tried overwriting with a recent black whiteboard pen (the green one had run out) and then wiping with the Cellulose thinners and that mostly worked, just leaving a faint remnant. Others finished the job (the board is bigger than A1.)

So we are missing some combination of applications that enabled me to get a completely clean result but nonetheless have a workable board now.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Carburettor cleaner (?ether based). Start-yer-bastard - definately ether

Reply to
Andrew

methylated spirits are 'alcohol'

lighter fluid is simply another long chain hydrocarbon like petrol. But not as long. plus a few cyclic hydrocarbons

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher