Some more reasons not to get a combi...

It's a Baxi 105e, so not the most elderly or the most recent out there, but I have no reason to suspect there's anything wrong with it.

Turn on a hot tap, and it heats some water. Quite a lot of water, in fact, as it has an internal hot tank which ought to supply you with a basin full of water without having to fire up.

Except that it always fires up, and the internal tank is cold by the next time you want to wash your hands. So it short cycles, and heats water you don't need.

Then there's the shower. Combis are really good for showers aren't they?

Not this one. Maybe it will be better in the winter, but at this time of year with warm inflow the minimum burn rate is more power than the shower on full. So after a while it gets too hot, shuts off the burner, and runs on the internal tank. It does this until the internal tank has cooled a bit, then fires up again to heat some more water.

Mean time the shower water temperature is going up and down by 10C or so :(

And the other morning when the water pressure was a bit low for some reason? Wouldn't fire at all, unless the shower was on full hot. Whereupon it wound the water up to 60 or so, then turned off again.

I'm glad this is a short term rent, and I won't be here long. On the other hand, the place we are moving to has oil...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Turn the basin tap on before you get into the shower - that will give it enough demand to keep running...

Reply to
John Rumm

or a shower head with a higher discharge rate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Another thought - have you tried descaling the shower head? That can make an enormous difference.

You can get shower heads which are easy to descale by rubbing the tiny rubber nipple jets on the palm of your hand, and self clearing heads where the perferated spray plate is sprung back onto a matching comb which keeps the holes clear when the shower is not being used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Along the same lines, check that the shower head fitted is not a water saving one (usually with a single annular ring of jets, and quite a focussed beam pattern.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've managed to descale old shower heads by filling a small plastic bag with vinegar, twist-tying it over the shower head, leaving overnight, then scrubbing it with a stiff brush. Sometimes a second treatment is required.

Reply to
S Viemeister