Solvent for carbon/soot on a brick wall?

Yes, 10 Downing Street is built with yellow brick, but you'd never guess that would you, couple of centuries worth of grime.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Gib Bogle saying something like:

It's the meds not kicking in yet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And as for that front door, it looks like it's been given a new coat of gloss every year for a couple of centuries without ever being taken back to bare wood, although it's probably not wood at all

Reply to
stuart noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble saying something like:

Istr a new front door being fitted yonks back and I wondered at the time if it was an armoured assembly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well done Tim; good call!

Just been out with assorted scrapers, wire brushes and blow lamps.

Tried a propane/butane mix conventional blow lamp first, but after five minutes or so I could see that was going to be a marathon not a sprint, so switched to Sievert Ultragas blow lamp, which worked a treat.

Ten minutes with a blow lamp, thirty seconds with a wire brush (to brush away the white ash) and you can hardly tell there was ever any soot.

Cheers, DaveyOz

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Best news I've heard all day!

Reply to
Tim Streater

ISTR reading recently that there is a spare front door - so they can swap it over quickly for maintenance !

Reply to
robert

It's steel now (the IRA saw to that) apparently they have two, so when one needs painting they swap them overnight and paint the other one ready for next time.

Given how often hospitals seem to gain a fresh coat of paint whenever some minor dignitary or politico is visiting, I assume that door gets swapped pretty frequently ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

I read there are two front doors for No. 10 - one is always being tittivated, which is why the one you see is always immaculate.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Which is also why we have two David Camerons as Prime Minister, of course.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Yes it was, due to our neighbours in Ireland.

Dave

Reply to
dave

*whoosh*

If you jumped, you might just have caught it as it flew over your head.

The answer is Vaseline, of course.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

PS. What "board" are you talking about?