Solvent

I made the mistake of peeling off one of those stickers they put on book covers for unknown reasons. I got most of the sticker off but much of the glue from the sticker remains and it's sticky. Sometimes those things peel off and take thir glue with them but not this time.

Anyone want to suggest a suitable solvent to get the glue off?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I got something from a pound shop simply called sticky label remover, which worked very well. No idea what was in it, although it didn't smell like alcohol.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Isopropyl alcohol is pretty good for jobs like that.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

A touch of WD40 will remove sticky labels, but it itself will leave a mark on paper or cardboard. Eventually, this will fade as the WD40 evaporates, but it will take a long time.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

iirc solvent oils work, eg orange & lemon

Reply to
Animal

I use white spirit.

Reply to
Dave W

Often citrus (limonene?) based

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1 That's the stuff.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I try methylated spirits first. If that doesn't work, white spirit/turpentine substitute. In both cases, test on a small area in an inconspicuous place to test for damage.

Reply to
Max Demian

One of the proprietary label removers usually work well and don't leave a mark on the card once they have evaporated. The one I use is by Ambersil, seems to work well.

Reply to
John Rumm

In th eend I used a drop of paint/varnish remover and that has worked well enough without damaging the cover.

Reply to
Tim Streater