Solid fuel stove

Surely such chippings would be green and would need drying out before you could burn them?

Be interesting to know how much chipping you'd get per unit of scrubby woodland - there's not a great amount of wood in typical bushes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

My whole HOUSE was calculated to need at most 12 kW continuous. The UFH is around 1.5Kw per 30 sq m room. Fully capable of keeping them toasty.

The Aga is 650W continuous and keeps a 30 sq m kitchen more than warm for all but the coldest winter nights.

My old 'Villager' wood burner is in a 30 sq m bedroom and does I think 7 or 8 kW. I do know that about an hour after lighting the otherwise unheated room (although the Aga is underneath it) gets to over 20°C...My biggest problem is trying to throttle it back...

Given reasonable insulation you don't need, at mos,t more than 100W/sq meter for any room, and with good modern insulation 50W is more than enough.

The most pathetic wood burner easily exceeds that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a pipe going to the ventilated attic above mine, Works very well. A pipe to the outside if that is available is also perfectly usable .# My open fires and (oil) Aga have pipes to the ventilated under floor cavity, That also works very well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My experience is that about 60% pof the trees I have to fell or that fall down here are not suitable for burning in normal stoves. As ot stands I have a pile of about 19 cubic meters of dross that is now probably too big to be a bonfire, and I still have a downed tree and all the hedges to cut - and nowhere to store yet another tree... I think those wood chip boilers can take it green and they act as driers..

I may yet get a chipping machine and turn that useless pile of small bracnches into mulch...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looks very interesting, and has the option of ducting in the air from a right angle.

Reply to
Chade
<snip>

We are fortunate enough to have a source of free wood.

About 5 kw power and having a 'windowed' stove in another room I think we would want the same again.

Reply to
Chade

That can be the problem especially if a wood/coal burner is to be used to heat more than one room. Comfortable away from the burner and too hot anywhere in a 6 foot radius.

The thermostat is manually opening and closing the air vent and it doesn't instantly fully turn off when at the desired temperature.

Reply to
alan_m

Reply to
George Miles

Fork Nose.

Probably. After all its not about climate or sustainability, its about profit for greenwashing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it's only approved suppliers of pellets, not logs or chips.

The boilers that take green chips look quite substantial - these start at

390kW:
don't know if there's anything suitable for domestic scale?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I was at a country fair 10 years ago and they did domestic scale ' woodchip burners, Probably no grants tho. They were selling them to people with large woodlands to manage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher