Solid fuel boiler-Is this air?

I've a wood burnring stove, with a backboiler- simple gravity feed to the tank. When its been on a while it 'bangs and hissses' and then I hear water rushing around. Assume this is trapped air ?? If so can I ; a) Undo the top hot pipe and let the air escape?? b) Fit something near the top hot outlet to let thevair out maunally c) buy something to add to the feeder tank to stop it- do these work ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Reply to
sndevereux

Sounds to me as though it's boiling the water. Is it a new stove? If you run off some hot water, does the noise stop?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If it is plumbed properly for a gravity feed, it should be open to atmosphere anyway.

There should be an "overflow" that feeds back into the top of the feed tank (see [a] above)

No, it should be left open.

Mine does the same from time to time. Bear in mind, with a very good fire, you will get far more heat than you will find in a gas heated system, its just geneerating a small amount of steam.

We just run some hot water off.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to