Air in soild fuel boiler?

I've a wood burnring stove, with a backboiler- simple gravity feed to the tank. When its been on a while it 'bangs and hissses' and then I hear water rushing around. Assume this is trapped air ?? If so can I ; a) Undo the top hot pipe and let the air escape?? b) Fit something near the top hot outlet to let the air out maunally c) buy something to add to the feeder tank to stop it- do these work ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Reply to
sndevereux

beginners don''t play with your boiler when it's hot. you're playing with steam or hot water under pressure. don't add water to a hot boiler, you can crack it. is there an air expansion tank? or an overflow? is this hot water radiator system or steam? is this a one room house or a multiple radiator system? ifthe boiler heats the house it needs water in all the radiators and in a closed loop hot water system you will find bleeder valves at the top of each radiator to let the air out when the system is under pressure. in my 3 story hot water radiator system before heating season begins you run the circulating pump adding fresh water at the basement water pressure limiting valve. the fresh water has dissolved air that rises to the 3rd floor so you let it out there at the radiator tops as you run the system if it hasn't caught it in the system's basement ceiling expansion tank that we keep half air half water. your system is going to be different. maybe like a 1922 era system i formerly ran it's just a manual water valve to add water in a sight level. maybe the boiler is all on one level with the radiators and there's an expansion tank higher in the attic with an overflow pipe to the sewer.

Reply to
buffalobill