solid core, green/yellow sleeve wire, ~1mm^2

Anyone know where to get some (say 50 or 100m) solid cored cable/wire with green/yellow earth-colour insulation?

Reply to
John Stumbles

I would expect an electrical wholesaler to have it, although

1.5mm will be easier to find.

(1.5mm)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

1.5mm^2 single solid core 6491X green/yellow
Reply to
Andy Burns

Any electrical wholesaler?

Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Andy (and Dave): TLC does seem to be the correct answer. (The CPC one is stranded: I had tried them first and assumed if they didn't do it nobody would :-))

Reply to
John Stumbles

Why the non-stranded requirement?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's for wiring up heating control panels & the like: I have plenty of brown and blue sleeved 1.0mm^2 solid stripped out of lighting T&E but no green/yellow sleeved (and running bits of loose sleeve onto bare wire is fiddly).

Non-stranded avoids faffing around tinning tails or trying not to get one strand go astray with possibly unfortunate consequences.

Not sure I want 100m / £20 worth though :-(

Reply to
John Stumbles

Tinning tails? Isn't that a bad idea (for screw terminals at least) or is it okay for earth wires?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You shouldn't tin wires to go in screw terminals anyway. Crimping on bootlaces is the way to go.

Reply to
dennis

TLC do cut lengths on a lot of cable. Dunno if they do on that stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+1

And the strands in stranded singles are nothing like those in stranded flex. The stuff I used for the heating control panel here was 7 x 0.6 mm, which works out as a tad under 2 mm^2 which seems an odd size. Can't remember what it was bought as and I did use bootlace ferrules as well.

Also it's all to easy to put a nick into solid when stripping the insualtion that will produce a higher resistance and mechanically weak point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The sheds sell it in shorter lengths. If you don't mind paying a much larger price per metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're identical to all intents, if you compare like for like.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Most of the stranded single core I've used had 7 or 9 strands as against the twenty or more in flex.

Reply to
John Williamson

Not really - stranded singles are just to make installation easier. Not designed for continual flexing - like flex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Eh? As I said the stranded singles I use were 7 x 0.6mm (*). 1.5 mm^2 in flex is made from 30 x 0.25 mm^2. A very different size of strand...

(*) Quickly measured, a bit of digging shows that 1.5 mm^2 stranded single is 7 x 0.53 mm, which does make the maths work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The *strands* (for that what were referred to, not the complete assembly with insulation) used in x/y are the same, however it's sold. If you want to compare x/y agains a/b then obviously they are different. The flexibility will also be affected by the sheathing which will vary according to the application.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So you are not comparing like with like.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The *strands* in stranded cable for fixed installations are of greater diameter than the strands in flex or for automotive use. A 2.5mm^2 flex or vehicle cable will have in excess of 20 small, flexible strands, while a 2.5mm^2 stranded cable for use in a fixed installation will have either 7 or 9 strands.

To add to the confusion, single core cables as used in automotive applications have the small strands as used in flex, single core mains cables have the larger strands. These fail due to vibration fairly quickly if installed in a vehicle. I found this out when the last strand of a temporary repair failed and I ended up with no electrics at all on a Land Rover, in the dark and rain, at the side of the road.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well, nor are you. Stranded single core flex as used for vehicle wiring and other interconnections where vibration is expected is not the same as stranded single for use in a fixed installation. Never should have been and never should be, unless you only have the flexible stuff in stock on a rush job.

Reply to
John Williamson