soldering to older piping

Hi,

I'm connecting some new 15mm pipe to old pipe. I'm finding after I have cut the pipe I can easily get my pre soldered ring connections onto the old pipe - I have to really force them or sometimes haven't managed it yet.

Whats the best way to fit them on? just keep snafing them down until they do slide on or does anyone have any top tips?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
dp

I got 16mm to 15mm compression adapters from the plumbers merchants to connect to the old pipe. Dunno if you can get 16/15 solder adapters. The old pipe was usually thicker copper so it would probably be OK to file them down a bit. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 22 Sep 2006 04:59:03 -0700 someone who may be "dp" wrote this:-

Can or can't?

Use compression fittings. They have more flexibility and will avoid a lot of fiddling about. Trying to solder onto unknown pipes tends to be fraught for those of us who don't do so regularly.

Reply to
David Hansen

Sounds like you've found some old 1/2" pipework. Get some 1/2" to 15mm adaptors and they'll fit fine.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Trying to get a good seal to 'unknown pipes' - by which I'm supposing you mean condition - can be even more fraught with compression fittings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)