Soldering problem

Yep, more power. I use one of those small Butane cartridge, small blowlamps for fine (actually relatively huge!) soldering work and they're really handy but are hopeless for copper pipe and fittings. A decent torch should take about 5 seconds to make a 15mm T joint. (Horses and courses :).

Reply to
john jardine

You do have plumbers solder don't you? not brazing wire or silver solder.

Reply to
cynic

Just about any diy blowlamp should be capable of doing this.

It will take a little more heat for French plumbing rather than UK, as the pipe wall is thicker, but it doesn't make much difference.

They seem to have a whole variety of pipe sizes, as you seem to be able to get them in 2mm steps if you look hard enough. Wall thickness is a fraction under 1mm, allowing a single fitting to be used externally on 10mm and internally on 14mm or for 10mm pipe to be soldered directly into 12mm. All this is assuming that things haven't changed in the 18 years or so since I plumbed most of a house in Brittany.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

JOOI, why is the above...

... worse performance than that? I can imagine an economic difference for anyone doing a lot of work, but what is it that makes #6 work better?

Reply to
Jules

FWIW I was in the same store today at it was $16, not $20. Brain rot at work... :)

Reply to
Jules

That is think is the problem. I don't think the OP did do chemistry at school or wasn't paying attention to the lesson on bunsen burners. B-)

A roaring flame, like that from a blow lamp has two parts. An inner brighter blue cone and outer darker blue flame. The hottest part is just outside the tip of the inner cone. So the tip of the inner cone should held just clear of the pipe and moved about slowishly. You need to heat both the fitting and the pipe so a good place is at the join.

I use a similar cartridge type blow lamp, succesfully made joints on 28mm with it. But I did fail on a 22mm T when the cartridge was getting low, not enough to be immediatly noticeable in the sound of flame.

On 15mm twenty or thirty seconds of heating is all that is required, you don't want to overheat the joint so little test prods with the solder after 20s or so until the solder melts, when it does remove the heat(*) and feed in a total of about 3/8" of solder. Leave to cool for a minute or so then take damp cloth to wipe away the flux residue.

(*) Making sure you don't set fire to anything whilst you are concentrating in getting solder into the joint...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good point, thanks. In this case not better in terms of heat output or soldering capability, but better in terms of longer time between cartridge changes (and more economic overall pricing if you have a trade discount at the plumber's merchant).

Reply to
Dave Osborne

The flame takes on a green hue as you get to the correct temperature. But may not be very apparent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I thought French regs were no soft solder anywhere? I believe that brazing is the norm, with plumbers carrying portable oxy-acet.

Good source of info from a professional here:

a look for the poster known as Peake. He knows all about French plumbing and is very helpful.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Both are used in France. I bought a plumbing book (in French) specific to domestic French plumbing and it describes both hard and soft soldering techniques and French plumbing in general. The existing plumbing in this house is all soft soldered. You can also buy both at the local DIY store (Bricomarche).

Reply to
David in Normandy

I've cracked it. There were two problems.

  1. The nozzle on the lamp gave a much better shaped flame with more blue in it by adjusting its position a few millimetres further away from the jet outlet - it now seems to be dragging in more air and giving a more defined blue pointed flame. The nozzle is held in place by a screw which bites onto the stem of the jet. It doesn't seem to have any pre-defined fixing place which surprised me and can just be attached anywhere down it's length. Only in one position is the flame sharp and blue.

  1. I've put a new gas canister on. A Calorgaz one. The new can is a high power mix of butane AND PROPANE. The old can was just butane.

The two above now mean the joint is hot enough to melt the solder in around 15 seconds! Huge difference. I guess part of the problem is getting an old lamp with no instructions and with it not being adjusted for an optimum flame. Add to this the fact I've never used a blowlamp before. I live and learn :-)

On with the plumbing now then :-) My T joint is now nicely soldered (after cleaning it up again and re-fluxing it).

Reply to
David in Normandy

For some reason that gave me a flash-back to using one of those old soldering irons that consisted of a wooden handle holding a bent steel wire with a big lump of copper on the end that you heated in a fire (or gas ring). I used to enjoy that.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Wickes sold you steel wire instead of solder?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not only will that avoid the gas getting too cold to work properly but also the mixture requires less oxygen so will burn better.

Reply to
PeterC

Reminds me when a wire came unsoldered in my soldering iron... Used an old screwdriver on the gas stove to solder it back on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Those are great for salvaging useful components from scrap PCBs, incidentally - although my sister was a bit pissed off a few years ago when I 'liberated' hers for such a purpose :-)

Reply to
Jules

Mind if I copy that into the wiki?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd have said that by the time you are blasting copper ions off the pipe it's too hot. B-) I have seen the green but TBH not noticed at what stage, the timing of knowing when the pipe is hot enough just comes with experience of doing joints.

Along with just the time the flame has been on the fitting/pipe I think I might gauge the temperature by the apperance of the bright cleaned copper starting to change.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can see the flame starting to change colour, though, if you look carefully.

Indeed. Like I keep on saying with a bit of practice there are a number of factors which tell you the temperature is correct.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still the case at Leclerc and Mr Bricolage, but moving more towards PER (Poly Ethylene Raccord - I think) mostly 12 & 16mm and screw on fittings.

Oh, and still selling imperial sized connectors as well.

Good fun

Reply to
JTM