Soldering Iron for Computer Cables

Correct. Plus the 1s - makes 5p plus just a bit less than 5 new pence - which is almost 10p. N'est pas?

(Are your eyes reading it as 'First pint I bought cost is 11d."? Not good grammar bit a quick scan read could skip past that.)

Reply to
Rod

If he'd said '11d' that would be true. But he said '1s 11d' - one shilling and elevenpence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

uk-diy at it's confusing best ...

Reply to
geoff

Yep. Brain functioning, _eyes_ tired!

Reply to
S Viemeister

No - 1s = 5p. 20s to the pound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So they don't have a multicore business then?

... I'll get me coat ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

Their business is currently in a state of flux.

Is my coat there?

Reply to
Paul Herber

An interesting exercise is to try and translate that into today's money. Take the "old strong" at 2/4 per pint. If you try the calculator at:

translates to:

£1.38 using the retail price index £1.41 using the GDP deflator £2.64 using the average earnings £3.13 using the per capita GDP £3.44 using the share of GDP

(obviously those don't take into account the changes in duty)

Reply to
John Rumm

I knew you couldn't resist. Some people are so easily lead.

Reply to
Ian White

At least the various quips flow nicely. Plenty of dry humour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really need at least three.

One about 50W temperature controlled with a pointed tip for electronic work, one about 50W with plenty of mass and a chisel tip for car alternators and starter motors and one about 200W for chunky earth braids.

Reply to
Mike

An Antex 16W should be man enough. As someone has asked, are you using lead free solder? It really is a pain, see if you can get some "proper" Leaded solder. It is still available for sale- it is a myth that it is illegal.

Also, clean the bit before trying to "tin" it- the Antex bits tend to go black when new. Get is hot and rub with steel wool then tin it or you can get abrasive fluxed pads for the purpose.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If it's a good iron plated copper bit, steel wool would be a bad idea. Heating it up and wiping it on a moist sponge, tinning it, and wiping it again is all that's normally required.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In the past I would have agreed with that. However, later bits seem to need something a little more aggressive.

Reply to
Brian Reay

In message , Paul Herber writes

s'OK - you can follow my lead

Reply to
geoff

And that's just the tip of it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

no-one said any iron will work, and I doubt anyone would. Read what's written.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Brian Reay writes

angle grinder

Reply to
geoff

I use this little lot for most jobs

You may find the plateing has gone on your tip.

Reply to
James Salisbury

Power hacksaw.

Reply to