Soldering iron flex

No, it's the better flexibility of silicone that is the selling point, for me anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

How odd. Antex has been my favourite for years. But a 50 watt low volt type. Never had cable troubles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bollocks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say an Antex a bit delicate for that sort of use. You want something like a Henley Solon. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No.

It may seem like a good idea to use silicone cable on an iron, but the level of dexterity and skill required for an adequate joint automatically precludes the random or careless positioning of an iron so that it burns the flex.

You have to apply a small degree of thought, although it seems the cooking the flex isn't the reason anyway.

Although the damage to PVC is not a consideration now, the basic assumption and reasoning are still valid, and could indeed be applied to a new or intended purchase.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I see you declined to post any constructive content. No worry.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think they're the cause of it. At least I hope not

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They were posted, you obviously didn't read them.

There will be questions later, so try to keep up to speed eh?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It's a general term, roughly translated it equals "I dont understand the question or the answer, I don't want to seem a silent idiot, so I will post a naughty word that I hope everyone will think is a deep meaningful response, full of mystery to the layman but implying a profound level of understanding well in excess of anything my brain cell could actually accomplish"

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Sometimes. Sometimes not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you are so cack handed to try and solder the flex rather than the joint I'd suggest you give up now...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why dont you read and try to understand the post prior to responding?

You do look an idiot selectively responding to the bits that pop up as being relavant.

No need to guess where you stand on Trump, Football Thuggery and Brexit.

It's patently obvious

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

some cheaper irons have very stiff "flex".

Reply to
charles

Temperature dependent, as stated.

As also acknowledged the 15W Litesold [if it's still available] was so small and pencil like, the flex was too stiff for that.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Trying to understand you is akin to working out what goes on in Trump's head.

I'm willing to bet I've done far more soldering than you. To the point of even building my own solder/desolder station since there was nothing on the market that suited me 100%.

And the idea of using a flex which melts if accidentally touched with a hot bit just shows you've zero experience of soldering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I,m afraid if you were incapable of guiding the bit to the work with accuracy, soldering definitely wasn't your game at all.

You have won the bet hands down BTW, I would guess that you are still feverishly working on your first joint.

Assuming we are talking in terms of 25W or thereabouts and working in electronics, the required accuracy for a good joint often involved positioning well below 0.25 mm tolerance.

The other thing was the ability to use what's available. I also carried a 120W Weller instant and even now fire up a gas iron.

"A bad workman"

I never in my wildest dreams would build my own soldering station, although I did construct a bit saver once, a diode dropper that was designed primarily to fill an electronics comic's editorial.

I cannot plaster to save my life, at one time I would have constructed all manner of improved tools to aid my style. I am older and wiser, and unfortunately show no improvement with practice.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I was thinking back to the last time I melted a flex. It was probably in my 20s.

One cause may be the use of 24V irons, where the cord is better behaved.

Either way a little care can go a long way.

Reply to
Fredxx

Only an amateur like you would use a 25 watt soldering iron. Pros use temperature controlled 50 watt or so low voltage types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the idea of saving pennies to use a less flexible flex which can also be damaged by heat is ludicrous.

Oh - the more something get used, the more chance of damage to it. Simple probability. And someone who only has a 25 watt mains soldering iron simply doesn't do much in the way of electronics work. Or is a total fool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

20 years of my career was spent using a 25W mains iron. As they came, out of the box, the only difference was that we wouldn't connect the earth.

The Engineering Council may beg to differ

Very much later, I used a soldering station, but this was for third party service. The costs to the client were high and time was critical, so the slightest doubt and a board would be stripped and its semiconductors and electrolytics replaced.

The iron size was the same, but the power rating was much much higher and needed a conroller to limit the temperature.

Carelessness with any iron would not be excuseable, if the mains cable was at risk, so would any plastics or other components in the "line of fire".

As I said, I never ever burnt a cable down to a conductor.