Solar PV (again) - installation gotchas

Just had my first quote for Solar PV. The roof is estimatd to take only a 5 panel/1.25Kw system.

One aspect of the quote (which differs from the Which? advice) is that you don't get a full survey until you sign up and pay 20%.

I would be more suspicious if the firm hadn't done two installs for local friends which both seem O.K.

So - (I am lining up some other quotes) what are the possible gotchas which could show up in a survery?

Pretty sure the roof will take the load (1930's semi of good construction) so the only other major item is the electrical system.

Any obvious gotchas with an older installation, such as maximum load, earthing type etc.? [I am already a little concerned that the lights dim noticeably when the electric shower is turned on.]

Anything complicated about the way the feed is integrated with the house electrical system? If we, for instance, needed the fuse box (and possibly the meter) moving and/or upgrading when we redo the back of the house is this likely to need more than a minor tweak from an experienced electrician?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

With that size of install take a good look at the payback period. Over the last few days I've been playing with several of the online calculators and once the kWp starts to get below 2 the payback period starts to lengthen.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a 1.25kWp system taking 15 years and with much less "profit" at the end of the 25 year FIT term, due to the longer payback and reduced FIT payments.

The 8-10 year payback applies to systems around 3kWp.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Payback estimated at 12 years without allowing for replacement on the inverter outside the 10 year guarantee period. The up front investment is less, but the longer payback due to the lower yield does make it a less attractive proposition. I now need to add in the interest/capital growth I might get from the money if I didn't "invest" it to see if it is worth bothering with.

Yes - the longer the payback takes, the less time there is to ammass a fortune from everyone else paying me through their leccy bills.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That sounds like a rip-off.

I'm just trying to get quotations at the moment. I'm surprised at how much effort it is taking. One company has ignored (a) me entering information on their web form, and (b) leaving a message on their answerphone last week. I'd have assumed that they had already gone out of business, but they put adverts in our local paper every week, and their answerphone was working. It's hard to believe they are so successful they don't want new work. Another company has ignored my web-form enquiry for a week.

One site survey showed up a minor problem: the box in the outside wall holding the elec meter is too small (probably) to hold another export meter, so that might have to be inside - which means someone calling to read the meter, which can be a pain. It will also need a new circuit breaker box inside, as existing one is too old/small.

My guess is that any work on the existing meter or the elec company side of it will be an additional expense, and could be quite significant.

By the way, David, if you'd like to email me at snipped-for-privacy@page2.eu I'd be happy to exchange more info with you when I get detailed quotes.

Reply to
Clive Page

Just one point 'They' don't read the meter 'You' read it and email/send in the readings each quarter on the days stipulated in your FIT contract. Your import account (supply) has nothing to do with the FIT and can even be from different leccy companies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Web forms are a PITA and often unreliable.

Can't speak for the answerphone though.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I was getting 4 or 5 phone calls every week from folk trying to sell/fit for free solar panels. All got told in no unceratin terms where they could put their offers. Perhaps they have found enough gullible folk to keep them busy because the phone calls stopped a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Old Codger

SNIP>

Interesting that now you are going to add in the interest/capital growth.

My calculations, allowing for 'interest' at 5.5% is it would take 23 years to break even. My assumption was investing in Scottish & Southern or Shell Oil that pay that sort of dividend and have a share price growth to match the inflation linked part of the FIT. Neither had I included new inverters every X years.

When I put these figure in another place that was very pro PV nobody manage to dispute my figures.

-- Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

Tell them you will walk away and find another installer. There are plenty of others that do not try this sort of arm twisting.

Reply to
cynic

That's easy to dispute.. shares can go up as well as down.

Reply to
dennis

Good idea to put the full details of the payback period calcs here, as such do sometimes overlook some of the expenses.

NT

Reply to
NT

The total generation meter does not go in the Suppliers meter cabinet. Normally it is next to your consumer unit ( but it doesnt have to be) and you read this meter (which is your property) then advise the FIT scheme operator to claim your payment. If at some stage in the future your suppliers meter is changed to a smart meter which can record input and export kWh that will be the property of the supplier and thus go in the meter cabinet. Your generation meter will not be affected by this, simply the portion of the units generated which you do not use yourself will be accurately measured instead of the 50% generated which is presently assumed.

Reply to
cynic

One thought: will the value of the house rise or fall after having this work done?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

*One thought: will the value of the house rise or fall after having *this work done?

In the short term it depends on how much the public believe in the scheme. Plus point - "guaranteed" long term income. Minus points - technical risk in medium term if repairs become a problem, and lack of trust in 25 year "guarantees" from any government. The issue of the initial capital outlay has gone away so it may make the house a little more attractive.

Medium term - if the industry proves itself then there may be a marginal increase in value. Tax free income of say £1,000 per year does have a value - perhaps £20k?

Let's face it - if you put £10k worth of techno gubbins on the roof of a £300k house it isn't going to make much more difference than if you put in a new kitchen, bathroom and carpets. Traditionally such upgrades don't increase the value of the house but do make it more marketable.

I don't think people pay a massive amount of notice to energy efficiency when they are buying a house because remedial work is normally a small fraction of the purchase price; hence the dubious value of these energy efficiency reports which were mandatory for a while.

Location, location, location!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

This is some thing I looked into. Apparently opinion is very polarisedat the moment on thisissue

Reply to
harryagain

There is a victorian terraced house near us in cambridge with PV on the front facing roof; I think it looks awful.

Would a new owner permitted to remove the installation? In fact is the original owner permitted to remove it once 'signed up'?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Not if he's done one of these lease your roof deals.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There may not be a "norm" in a years time if the current apparently overwhelming financial incentive is withdrawn or at least toned down.

Reply to
hugh