Solar PV & 3 phase

I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property. That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a payback. (Subject to a change of the meter etc). Naffer

Reply to
naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost back. You've got mains there, use it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

A good approximation for the average power output of a well sited PV system in central England is 10% of its rated kWp. So, a 2kWp system will produce on average somewhere near 200W and cost 12k. That will take 400000hrs to pay for itself at 15p/kWh - ie never!

The government are well aware of this, so they are willing to pay PV installations a premium of approximately 3 times what the electricity is worth, so they can pay for themselves in about 15 years, and double their money in their lifetime. It is a very good deal if you are wealthy enough to afford such a system.

Fortunately for the government, they will not be footing the bill for this extravagance as it will be paid for by a levy on all our gas and electricity bills. Hence it is set to become one of the greatest wealth transfers from the poor to the rich in your nation's history. The payments are also tax free I believe.

Salut

legrandfromage

Reply to
legrandfromage

Hopefully the OP will search ukdiy, and soon notice that all the threads with relevant calculations reach the same conclusion. Its a lot more convincing than the say so of one person imho.

NT

Reply to
NT

In Spain PV installations are pretty lucrative, reaping about 55cents per kWh - about what we are going to cough up. They are so lucrative in fact that between Nov 2009 and Jan 2010 PV installations earned 2.5 million euros during the hours of darkness by producing 4500 MWh of electricity between midnight and 7am.

It is clearly worthwhile running a diesel generator along side these PV plants and occasionally forgetting to switch them off at night! That 2.5 million must be a fraction of the actual fraud!

've just had an idea on how to make some money....

Salut

legrandfromage

Reply to
legrandfromage

You don't need a generator. As you get paid three times what you pay just connect a battery charger to your mains and connect it's output to the PV output leads .

For each unit of electricity you have to pay to power the battery charger you get refunded over twice the amount for the "generated" energy. Simples.

Reply to
Peter Parry

How on earth did they manage to do that?

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher