solar panels

It was in the sense that I personally experienced it, and I didn't discover it from the internet.

Why are you so suspicious?

Yes, surprisingly, I had managed to work that out myself. The problem is that there is too much at some times and less than one would like at others.

Reply to
Bioboffin

solar panels of all types rarely match demand, this doesnt stop them being successful.

how much it heats depends how much youve got, and how its all deisgned. I think youre shooting at an imaginary figure there.

This spurious fact does not change the fact that an air panel system is much cheaper than a plumbed one.

Youve offered nothing of subtance.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, and if it werent for all the planning and BR laws today, many of us would have built our own houses, many of which would contain an assortment of energy efficiency technologies. But with all todays overhead the whole thing is unaffordable and impractical for most people. So a lot of us live in more basic energy wasting buildings instead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 24 Sep 2006 09:48:23 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Correct, you've offered nothing of substance.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:57:20 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

You do like that word, for some reason.

Far more pleasant to look at than many things that are part of houses.

I suspect only a small group of people, including some trolls.

The majority have coped with more and more complicated heating systems over past decades, I see no reason why the majority will be any different in the future.

Nice try. However, research demonstrates a rather different acceptance level. Not 100%, but not what you imply.

In your opinion.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:44:29 GMT someone who may be "Bioboffin" wrote this:-

Provided the storage cylinder is properly insulated the hot water will stay hot for a considerable time. All part of proper design and installation. Perfect? No, but nothing is.

It sounds like your friend's was badly designed. A thermostatic mixing valve is essential on some sorts of solar water heating system to avoid scalding.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:34:59 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

The opposition does at times strike me as mildly desperate.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes, and I can't understand why. Nobody's suggesting compulsory fitting and it doesn't affect anyone else - unless they find solar panels unattractive and go around looking at other people's roofs :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary,

I think that the problem is that solar heating has been infected by the 'just in your area/special offer today only/show house' salesman syndrome. I certainly get frequent leaflets through the letter box telling me how I will save n% of my heating bills (where n is usually over 90% and carefully avoids mentioning that they are talking about water heating). In an environment where inflated performance claims and high pressure selling are so common scepticism is a sensible response. I don't think that the nay sayers are saying anything other than do your sums, look at costs and look at savings and make a decision.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

I do and I do actually.

I also find acres of uniform 'pseudo slate' on a wet grey afternoon in cheapo suburbia one of the most depressing sights in the world. Brings back memories of the Kinks 'dead end street'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:03:56 +0100 someone who may be "Andy McKenzie" wrote this:-

I haven't had any such leaflet through my door.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:23:53 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Not to existing buildings. However, there is an argument that it should be compulsory in new buildings.

Indeed.

If one believes the City of Edinburgh Council then they are oh so keen on things environmental. So when they rejected (retrospective) planning permission for solar panels in a Conservation Area I took a look. The panels were not in the attractive square that is worth conserving, but round the side of the house. They could only be seen at certain angles from the not particularly attractive public street leading away from the Conservation Area. The panels certainly looked far more attractive than the yellow painted garage they were placed on, which had been built of concrete in the Brutal Stalinist style of architecture.

Reply to
David Hansen

LOL! that reminds me of an ugly village in Wales, with a dreadful, rusting, rotting, partly blue painted corrugated iron structure on its outskirts who were complaining about the possible erection of windmills on distant hills.

I have to take people across the street to point out ours, it can't be seen from anywhere else - except from the hospital and police helicopters and they have more important things to do. So far everyone I've shown has been enthusiastic, five friends are looking into the system themselves. I have no interest in the company and haven't advised anyone, just bragged :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We've never had anything like that. We get lots and lots of handyman, roofing, guttering etc. leaflets but none for swh. And one of the gutter ones turned out to be superb. You can't guarantee that they're all undesirable.

But why try to preach to others about it? I don't advise people not to watch television because of my dislike of it ...

It's not up to them to assume that those who are interested aren't intelligent enough to think for themselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No there isn't. That would be a dreadful thing to do.

You'll be suggesting windmills on roofs next

Clearly they have their priorities right at least.

I trust that the applicants were made to take the eyesores down.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm sure you're right. I don't claim to be anything other than a complete novice with regard to these systems. I am, however very interested (who wouldn't be with nothing other than increasing fossil fuel costs in prospect - together with the environmental damage of using fossil fuels). I intend to fit one or other of the systems on offer in the not too distant future. Maybe also a wind generator!

Reply to
Bioboffin

David's fond of telling people what to do. Or rather, badgering the politicos to do so, since like most such, he's a nobody.

Reply to
Huge

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:49:13 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Indeed. Plenty of people offering to cut down a tree, though they have stopped since I chopped it down myself (it is now a trunk sticking out of the ground). A few people offering to tarmac the path, which is the council's responsibility. Absolutely nobody offering to fit solar panels.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:54:22 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Why?

It is an excellent idea to fit a wind turbine or two to the roof. However, unlike solar panels they are not suitable on all houses, so I would advocate selecting from a range of alternative forms of engineering to produce electricity.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 25 Sep 2006 12:30:25 GMT someone who may be Huge wrote this:-

Excellent, personal abuse. Usually the resort of those with no better arguments. Thank you for confirming this to those who were not aware of it before.

Reply to
David Hansen