Soil pipe inspection

This week I had a new soil stack installed. I did the "right" thing and had notified the council about the planned work. After the existing pipework had been exposed and a section of new pipe attached to the old clay pipe, I notified the council who said they'd send an inspector around the next morning.

I was told that the inspector would want to see the new below ground pipework and would want to see a pressure test. The hole could then be filled in and there would be a second inspection for the above ground stack pipework.

By the time that the inspector had arrived, the whole external stack was in place and connected up to the house appliances. The inspector agreed that because there was old clay peipework, a pressure test would be problematic and he was satisfied with what he could see had been done. The hole could be filled in with new pipework protected by shingle.

The inspector said he would return at a later date to witness a pressure test of the above ground stack. The above ground pressure would use an airbag to block off the stack at the inspection cover at the base.

It seems to me that the second inspection is entirely pointless. Any above ground leaks will be immediately evident (as one was initially) and the pipework wouldn't really be under any great pressure in normal use. I really don't see the point of pressure testing the above ground stack. The opposite is true for the below ground work where the inspector was content with a visual inspection. The only thing I can think of is that the inspector is paid independently on a per-visit basis.

FWIW the waste pipe was blocked prior to the inspectors arrival and the stack filled with water. It didn't leak until an end cap was pushed out of the pipe by the pressure.

So is this second visit a complete waste of time? Is this above ground pressure test usual?

It's going to be an interesting test since the connected stack hooks up to so many open-ended pipes: sink, bath, kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing mashine and toilet!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

You see, you did 'the right thing' and where has it got you? And what use is it? Keeps public sector employment high, that's all. I blocked my sewer up in the inspection pit at my boundary, on a hunch, and filled it with water from the outside gully. Water ran away quite quickly after I stopped the water going in, until the level had dropped about 3". I could actually hear it leaking out underground where the soil stack entered the ground along from the gully. It turned out to be a cracked glazed clay pipe, must've been cracked for years, there was a pit underneath the leak. It was duly replaced, encased in concrete and passed a second leak test.

Having said that, the sewer pipe still must've had fine cracks in it at other points as the water level still dropped very slowly even when below the level of the original crack, but it is 70 years old, and like you say, normally it isn't under an real sort of pressure. I at no point felt the need to get someone to look over my shoulder. That's just inventing problems!

cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

snip

snip

Maybe. I would probably have just gone ahead and and not inconvenienced the council if it weren't for the fact that we have planning permission for an extension and the plans show the soil stack as being inside the house..

I really didn't want to have some eagle-eyed inspector asking about the nice shiny outside soil stack and the juxtaposition of the pipe shown in the plan.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Ah well, if you're building an extension I suppose there's no way you could keep them out of the loop. I wouldn't recommend trying to keep a BCO out of an entire extension project!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

The soil pipe and the extension are two different projects, though the extension will involve extending the existing underground drain further. I didn't want to risk upsetting a BCO by him arriving and having a slightly different situation to what was expected. At least this way the council are aware of the change and I get to see what they are happy with. I've made sure that there's provision for extending the new pipework into the extension.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:01:21 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Paul Andrews" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:01:21 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Paul Andrews" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

To be honest, I wouldn't myself have asked for a 'pressure' test (air test one assumes) on a relocated external stack. I may have asked for a water test on the new below-ground section, but more likely I would have carried out a visual inspection, and advised the owner or builder to carry out their own water test prior to backfilling (thereby throwing the onus back on to the person carrying out the work).

An air test should be possible, provided that all the traps are in place, as the increase in pressure will be less than that required to 'blow' the traps.

The inspection fee is a one-off, so you pay the same no matter how many visits the BCO makes. 99% (or more) Local Authority BCOs carrying out site inspections are employed by the Council on a salaried basis, and for the last few years have had more than enough to keep them busy, so no BCO is going to make extra work for themselves. I don't of course discount the possibility that the BCO happens to live very close by, so your house is a convenient site start for him.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:44:00 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Hugo Nebula randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Hmm. Don't know what happened there.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula