sodastream cylinder threads

Now I know for certain you were insane! :-) You're lucky to have escaped serious injury.

I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Reply to
pamela

I just came across this thread, while looking for help with a Sodastream Gemini that I dug up, after it had been in storage for awhile. I was wondering if you (or anyone) could tell me how to remove the gas cylinder to replace it (or refill it), as I cannot find any way to remove the back cover. I presume that there’s some trick that I’m missing, but I’ve run out of ideas!

Reply to
Parousia

There is a shortage of carbon dioxide. Less beer being brewed, lots needed for dry ice for vaccine. Hence supply issues.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Talking of brewing and CO2, I saw this on the beeb this AM

It has to be rubbish, surely. CO2 from fermentation comes from the sugar (i.e. malt or other source of carbohydrate) so is 'natural', 'green', 'renewable' or whatever term you want to use. So it's captured and somehow incorporated into the potato waste from the crisp factory, and spread back onto the fields to 'fertilise' the next crop of potatoes. But potatoes don't get much of their mass from the soil - they get it by absorbing the CO2 from the air and photosynthesizing it in the leaves to cellulose etc. I can see why putting potato waste back into the soil might improve the soil quality, just like adding any other compost, but the bugs in the soil will soon convert that potato waste to CO2 anyway.

So the Walker's claim to be tackling climate change is just marketing bullshit.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The consumption of beer (and other alcoholic drinks) in UK homes has rocketed.

The running costs of a Sodastream are often are much higher than buying the equivalent finished product in a supermarket, unless you are into expensive designer French fizzy water.

Reply to
alan_m

In a real ale the Co2 in a cask is natural. The yeast is not killed off and therefore some secondary fermentation take place in the cask providing the CO2. For "real ale" in bottles its the same and this is why you often see a sediment in the bottom of the bottle and why they should be poured into a glass carefully to avoid disturbing the sediment.

Keg beer sold in pubs, in cans and in the vast majority of bottles the yeast has been killed off. The product is sterile and lifeless hence CO2 is injected from other sources. In pubs this comes from large cylinders of CO2 and for bottles and cans it is injected into the finished product in the same way as that for fizzy lemonade, cola etc., again from bulk sources.

There are 4 main producers of industrial Co2 in the UK which is the by-product of fertiliser and bioethanol industries. A few years back these companies had simultaneous plant closures for maintenance hence a shortage of Co2 for keg beer and fizzy drinks.

Reply to
alan_m

Think you just squeeze the lower part of the cylinder cover at the back and that releases the retaining lugs. There are indentations in the plastic where you?re supposed to squeeze.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+