Smoke/Fire alarm question

I always appreciate good advice. You are also well meaning but though you have been informed, you have misunderstood. I'll try to explain this again. The device is a unit that is protected by a tamper proof lock. That which lies inside the zone protected by the tamper proof lock remains untouched and protected. I realise that it would increase the justification for your authoritarian tirade if I had dismantled the sensor. As it was, the outside of the unit was merely inspected for manufacturer's details or contact address. Sure I pressed the button, isn't that what buttons are for?

Except for those increasingly rare occasions, when I'm compelled by an irresistible urge to ring doorbells and run away, I tend to take responsibility for my actions. I would say that my actions in this matter were motivated by my sense of responsibility. The response to my enquiry here reminds me of the story about the airline of the future, where the flight deck is populated by a pilot and a dog. The pilot's job is to feed the dog. The dog's job is to bite the pilot if he tries to touch anything.

Even the most unrepentant ASBOzo has the right to move the electronic ankle bracelet in order to scratch an itch. Any device that is placed in my home, or the home of my loved ones by whatever official or self-appointed agency, will be subject to scrutiny and inspection. You can be sure that I'll act on my conclusions too. So, if a CCTV camera were to go up in the corner of my kitchen,so as to ensure that I'm adhering to the regulation diet, the lens will very soon be receiving an evenly spread layer of Marmite. :)

Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

I read that self-flagellation is effective in reducing the urges of frustrated wannabe authoritarians. I suggest you start lightly and apply no more of a lashing than is absolutely necessary. No Big Wallops required Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

Thanks for the useful advice Owain. I'll check the details and talk to the appropriate people. Regards, Mike

Reply to
MikeyMuchos

"I think these alarms are part of the original building spec, because unmounting them from the ceiling shows that they are wired." Is more than capable of being misinterpreted, if you are such a sensitive soul perhaps you should be more precise in future.

I presume you also have problems understanding the meaning of simple words. If you consider that a "tirade" you have had a very sheltered upbringing.

After determining what they are for it may be in the appropriate situation. I doubt if you go pressing each wall mounted fire point you come across because "that is what buttons are for"

A combination of a misplaced sense of responsibility and ignorance is no less dangerous than irresponsible ignorance.

Ah, the great let out clause.

Scrutiny and inspection only achieves something if you know what you are scrutinising and inspecting and have enough knowledge to determine if it is faulty.

Reply to
Peter Parry

So, have you found out any more about the system? Or are the wires still hanging out the sensor you touched? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

On 15 May 2005 06:02:20 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Is this within a self-contained flat? If so, then the detectors usually aren't interlinked (although it's possible there may be a different detector close to the entrance door). It's unlikely that they would be linked to a Fire Brigade call-out, unless the 'flat' is within a mixed development such as student housing as part of a larger complex.

What you describe sounds like discrete detectors interlinked within the flat only. You should be able to test them by pressing and holding the 'test' button.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula