Smeg Induction Hob Glass

no, it does more than dry: it caramelises to a really tough compound that is not water soluble. Or even reduces to carbon

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We used to have a glass bench protector which was made from the same, or at least similar, kind of glass. (According to its blurb.) We kept it next to the hob to pop hot pans etc on.

While trying to make marmalade, I dropped some on the protector. It left an ?etched? circle which ruin the surface. The, cooled, lump of marmalade came off easily enough.

Given the pan must have been at least as ?hot? temperature wise as the marmalade and the pan didn?t damage the protector, a logical conclusion is there is some chemical reaction involved between the hot sugar and the glass.

Presumably using glass pans to make jam etc isn?t a good idea.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I use wet and dry abrasives. The ceramic is not scarred, but it eats away at the baked on carbon

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can anyone else smell Rimmer?

Reply to
cpvh

Someone one managed to pit the glass in the one in our let. Someone else suggested that was hot sugar.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

dont sniff yer foreskin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The very problem I had with Liebherr when my fridge thermostat failed about a month after the 2 year warranty expired. :-(

Reply to
Andrew

I decided against claiming off the insurance, as with the excess, and increased premium, I'm sure they'll get their money back over a couple of years.

So, I rang Smeg directly and without any hassle, they took an order for a new glass top. They also gave me the number fro a technical help line, in case there's any difficulty. Hopefully non need for that !!

£300+ for the new glass top, though the hob as new costs about £700

'tis wot it is........

I now await the delivery and hope it's easy enough to change.

Reply to
cf-leeds

That is one of the reasons we go for Bosch electrical, their complete range of spares is available to both trade and public. Prices can be little high and I presume the trade registered people can get a discount. Their website has exploded diagrams of all their products making it easy for the punter to select the correct spare, I have never had a problem getting any kind of spare part required.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My experience too. We have a *lot* of Bosch stuff!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed, if you used plain glass you'd lose the printing for the buttons. But you'd be able to see the sensors through the glass, so (assuming the thickness was right) you could still locate them and press them if you knew what the layout was. Or potentially print a new legend to put under the glass (since they're not in an area that will get hot).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks, that's *really* helpful. I've had similar experiences with Miele (parts for 35 year old machines), although parts diagrams aren't available (rarely on a random forum somewhere) and spare part pricing is often at the 'just about worth it over buying a new machine' level. Apparently they insist the spares service pays its way as a standalone business, and warehousing all that stuff can't be cheap.

Looks like the Bosch prices are roughly half of what I'd expect Miele pricing to be. I think I'm sold :)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

You still have the problem of fixing the glass to the body of the hob. The one that arrived smashed had metal angle strips attached to the underside of the glass through which the screws went to attach to the body. Whatever they used to bond them on was quite strong I tried prising some off without success just ended mangling them.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Not yet